starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missed reps while cycling intensity.

Default Missed reps while cycling intensity.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I recently started cycling my squat and deadlift intensity on a 4 Day Texas Method. Moving from triples to doubles to singles, as detailed in PPST3. I missed a rep on the second cycle of the deadlift triple.

Do I pull the double I’m scheduled for next time I’m in the gym? I’ve seen Andy Baker mention that, when reps are missed while cycling volume, lifters should do the prescribed weights next session and, once the cycle restarts, attempt the weight previously missed (e.g. lifter misses a triple, proceeds to a double the next week, single the week after, and then repeats the triple that was missed). Is this advisable when cycling intensity too?

Thank you

Thanks Rip. I’m taking plenty of rest (5-8min) and took a 10lb jump on the deadlift as described in the gray book—specifically phase III of the Texas Method. Sleep was poor the night before, and I’m certain that’s the culprit.

But my question is, when doing three week cycles on the intensity day, what does one do if there is a miss? Do you advise repeating the workout the next week or proceed through the cycle and repeat the workout once the next cycle begins?

For example, if a lifter misses a 460x3 pull, do they continue in the cycle and eventually repeat the triple (e.g. Week1: 460x2, Week 2: 475x2, Week 3: 490x1, Week 4: 460x3)?

Having read the article I linked, why do you think that 5-8 minutes is plenty of rest?

5-8 minutes between the last warm up and the work set dissipates fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by 246t8 View Post
    5-8 minutes between the last warm up and the work set dissipates fatigue.
    Apparently not enough of it anymore...

From the article:

So you do whatever you have to do to make this happen, and it’s quite obvious that if resting 7 minutes between sets alleviates the fatigue from the previous set, which is necessary to complete all three sets of 5, then you rest 7 minutes. Maybe 8. We’ll get hot, sweaty, and out of breath later – now, we’re getting big and strong.

The bit about 8 minutes is an application of a principle there, not an absolute number. The principle is that you rest as long as it takes to make the next work set. If you're missing the work set, try resting longer and see what happens.

Maybe the spoiler here is that it's not uncommon when it gets heavy for it to take ten minutes of rest for the set to go.

Right, I understand that. I've read "The First Three Questions" and "Rest Between Sets" (pages 66-67 of PPST3). But my question is a separate one.

In the section "Texas Method Phase III: Cycling Intensity Day," PPST3 outlines how a lifter can cycle intensity instead of running out sets of five indefinitely. And when reps are missed, a lifter repeats that weight the next workout to make the reps--if you miss your set of five, you go for it again next time.

I am asking if, when cycling intensity, a lifter should (a) repeat the workout where reps are missed on intensity day or (b) continue the cycle and repeat the workout once the cycle is complete. As an example, if a lifter cycles intensity on their deadlift between a 3RM, 2RM, and 1RM each week and misses a rep on the 3RM, does he attempt the 3RM again or does he continue the cycle and try it again next time he's scheduled to pull the 3RM?

My plan is to attempt the 3RM again, but was curious if anyone had other ideas.

Why do you think moving up in weight would be advisable if you haven't completed your previous sets?

Barbell Prescription recommends continuing the cycle, but repeating the failed set on the next intensity day for that rep range. So what you wrote in parentheses is recommended. Your 3RM, 2RM, and 1RM proceed on separate tracks, and if one falls behind, adding weight to the others will help you get "unstuck". I recommend this book, even for those who are under 40. There is a lot of relevant information to add to the programs in PPST.

The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40 – The Aasgaard Company

starting strength coach development program
    Again: my plan is to attempt the 3RM again, but was curious if anyone had other ideas. This is a general programming forum, after all.

In the KSC powerbuilding program, Andy Baker suggests continuing to move up on the other rep ranges in the cycle and repeating the weight you missed when the cycle restarts.

Just saw this. Thanks heinz--I'll take a look at Barbell Prescription and consider getting my own copy. Much appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast