starting strength gym

Thread: Chin-up progression

Default Chin-up progression

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am 41 year-old female weighing 125lbs at about 5'1". I train on a 4-day split that includes chin-ups twice a week but I cannot seem to achieve linear progress on this movement. I keep getting stuck at 6-8 reps, which seems low at a BW of 125lbs (I am not fat).

According to the Blue Book:

"A good rule of thumb is that when you can do 12-15 bodyweight reps, it is probably time to start doing some of the work weighted, possibly alternating higher-rep bodyweight workouts with lower-rep weighted workouts."

Question 1 - Would the number of BW reps be different for a female lifter?

Also from the Blue Book: "many people have made steady linear progress by microloading the chins"

Question 2 - Is it too early to try this? If so, what do you suggest I do to break my 6-8 rep plateau?

Of note, I do chin-ups as an assistance movement for my press. I could not care less about the size of my biceps.

Also, before anybody asks, here are my current numbers:
    • Squat: 235X1X3
    • Press: 101X3X5
    • Bench: 141X3X5
    • DL: 255X2X3

1. Yes it would.

2. Try it now.

Your lifts are really good, double bw squats and bench over bodyweight as well. one thing i noticed is how thick the grips are on the chins. i have noticed in my experience that when i chin on a "thin" bar, i can get a few more reps. perhaps it is proprioceptive feedback ??? either way, a thicker chin bar may be harder to grip as the reps go up and this may signal your brain that you are done when maybe you have a few more in the tank. just a very tiny detail i noticed, probably doesnt really matter

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    1. Yes it would.

2. Try it now.
    Wilco, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by cole205 View Post
    one thing i noticed is how thick the grips are on the chins. i have noticed in my experience that when i chin on a "thin" bar, i can get a few more reps. perhaps it is proprioceptive feedback ??? either way, a thicker chin bar may be harder to grip as the reps go up and this may signal your brain that you are done when maybe you have a few more in the tank. just a very tiny detail i noticed, probably doesnt really matter
    It makes a huge difference, just like it does on a deadlift. The human hand likes a bar between 25-29mm. A 32mm bar takes at least 20% off a deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by cole205 View Post
    Your lifts are really good, double bw squats and bench over bodyweight as well. one thing i noticed is how thick the grips are on the chins. i have noticed in my experience that when i chin on a "thin" bar, i can get a few more reps. perhaps it is proprioceptive feedback ??? either way, a thicker chin bar may be harder to grip as the reps go up and this may signal your brain that you are done when maybe you have a few more in the tank. just a very tiny detail i noticed, probably doesnt really matter
    Thank you!

I'm sure you're right about the thickness of the bar. I bought this foamy bar as a pain-management device to work around inflammation in my fingers (from rheumatoid arthritis). That said, the swelling and pain has gone down quite a bit lately, as it typically does in the spring. I will try using a "hard" bar again tomorrow and see if I can tolerate the pain now.

It makes a huge difference, just like it does on a deadlift. The human hand likes a bar between 25-29mm. A 32mm bar takes at least 20% off a deadlift.
    [Stupid?] question 3 - If I were to set my 25mm Bella Bar on the rack to do chins, am I likely to damage the bar?

Quote Originally Posted by tiny&mighty View Post
    [Stupid?] question 3 - If I were to set my 25mm Bella Bar on the rack to do chins, am I likely to damage the bar?
    Not at all.

Not at all.
    Could she maybe strap the chins? I think I heard Dr. Santana reference this in his podcast recently.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    Could she maybe strap the chins? I think I heard Dr. Santana reference this in his podcast recently.
    Never mind, I tried it and it doesn’t work. Plus I just read the equipment section of Strong Enough? and I’m feeling ashamed.