starting strength gym

Thread: Halting / Rack Pull Programming

Default Halting / Rack Pull Programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello all, this is my first time posting in the forums so please forgive me if I fuck something up in how I attempt to illicit advice from all of you fine champions of strength.

I've been lifting sporadically for about 20 years , but I only really started training in late 2020 when I discovered the Starting Strength program.

I'm a 32 y/o, 6'3", 305# male and my current lifts are:
    DL- 550x5, 600x1
    Squat - 480x5, 530x1
    Press- 282x5, 300x1
    Bench- 375x5, 415x1
    Clean- too much of a pussy to Clean because every time I try to program them, I always end up getting back tweaks and I'm currently too broke to seek out a SSC to get hands on coaching.

Anyway, for deadlifts, I've just been going up 5# a workout for a whole lot of workouts and I've reached the point where I've stalled out and been unable to get 555x5 on numerous occasions, so I'd like to replace my heavy deadlift day by alternating between Rack Pull and Halting Deadlifts each week to power through my plateau and eventually pull 600x5 for no other reason than that I think it would be really neat.

I have a 2 questions-
    Q1) For my warmups, should I be doing full ROM Deadlifts before my Haltings and Rack Pulls (respectively), or just warmup by doing Haltings and Rack Pulls?
    Q2) For my work set programming, should I just do one heavy set of 5 as I've been doing for my standard deadlifts, or should I do 3 heavy sets of 5 because these variations should be causing less stress than their full ROM counterpart.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Q1: I would do 135, 225 as deadlifts, then 315 as haltings or rack pulls.

Q2: Do not do sets across with either of these pulls. That defeats the purpose of using a less-stressful movement.

Thanks Rip!