starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Over training

Default Over training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My current lifts are bench 365 squat 585 and deadlift 635. Would this program be overtraining.
    Day 1
    Bench 5x5 75 percent of 1RM
    Dumbell press 4x6
    Overhead press 5x5 at 60 precent of 1RM
    Barbell rows 4x8

Day 2
    Squat 5x5 75 precent of 1RM
    Paused squat 4x6
    Deadlift 3x5 60 percent of 1RM

Day 4
    Overhead press 5x5 75 precent 1RM
    Bench 5x5 65 precent of 1RM
    Barbell rows 4x8

Day 5
    Deadlift 5x5 75 precent of 1RM
    Paused deadlift 3x5
    Squat 5x5 65 precent of 1RM

Yes, this would be overtraining.

I figured, I been feeling tierd alot. I guess I'll drop it down to 2 lifts instead of 4. My progess on bench has been a issue more then the other two. I have always had a overtraining bone since I started. Maybe I should get a 2nd job lol.

Been reading the book. You feel I'm starting to get it?
    Monday
    Bench 5x5 75 percent 1rm
    Overheadpress 3x5 60 percent 1rm
    Accessory bench pressing movment, not hitting failure 3x6

Tuesday
    Squat 5x5 75 percent 1rm
    Paused back squat 3x5 80 percent of weight used from the 1st lift.
    Front squat 2x5
    Off day

Thrusday
    Press 5x5 75 percent 1rm
    Bench 3x5 60 percent 1rm
    Laying tricep extension 3x8

Friday
    Deadlift 3x5 75 percent 1rm
    Squat 3x5 60 percent 1rm
    Bent over rows 3x6 Not hitting failure

Where in the book does it mention % of 1RM?

No where,but usually 75 precent of 1rm equals a 5X5 and hitting close to failure on last set. Where 60 percent is like the back off lifting day for that lift.

Look, you're not doing our program -- at all -- so I'm not sure why you're asking us about this. Whoever wrote the silly shit in the OP for you is the guy to ask.

Griffin, what are you trying to accomplish? Your initial question was, "would this be overtraining?" Well, maybe... But your goal is clearly not merely to avoid overtraining - doing nothing would do that, and it would be simpler.

The general flow of good principle is:

1) Define your goals.
    2) If the goals include getting stronger, then do the NLP, including proper recovery, until it stops getting you stronger.
    3) When that stops, check the three questions to rule out non-programming factors.
    4) If those are ruled out, then and only then modify programming, but minimally and incrementally to get progress going again.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but that's basically how proper intermediate and advanced programming come about. Post-novice programming therefore results in a plethora of programs, because they're all contextual. This is why the programs in the grey book are illustrative examples, not...selectable options per se.

Deviations from good development process probably result from tacit goals - "I want to do 5/3/1 because reasons" or "I want to do HLM because I heard I should" or "I enjoy lifting, so I want more of it" or "I feel good when I wear myself out" are all examples of such goals. Proper effective programming MIGHT produce something similar in a given situation, or it might not...but proper is the way to bet, if you want stronger.

So, again...let's start at the basics: what are you trying to accomplish?

starting strength coach development program
    Get stronger, of course this means increasing the big 4 lifts. I have always over did it in my training time to time and the program I was running was preventing me from recovering it felt. So I got the grey book to read about programming for guys past the novice and early indermidate phase. I ran the novice starting strength program and I basically stoped getting stronger after I hit 295 bench, 455 squat and 500 deadlift and that's been some years ago. So i have just kinda been playing around with the big lifts trying to find a good mix of intensity and volume I can get stronger and recover from. Ever since I hit around mid 300 bench, mid 500 squat and late 500s deadlift I feel I'm just not recovering. Examples would be feeling like crap, performance going down and not feeling hungery till werid hours at night and of course sleep disturbances. As well all know the process of getting stronger is proper stimulus and recovery and as the lifter gets more advanced that window gets small and harder to hit. I feel this is my issue.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast