starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I change something up?

Default Should I change something up?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, I hope this is the right category for this thread. I’m 35, 200lbs and have been lifting for some years but recently got on the starting strength program. I am now on week 17. My lifts are as follows for 3 sets of 5 reps.

Deadlift 386
    Squat 355
    Bench 255
    Press 165
    Clean 145 (trying to improve form but this is 5 sets of 3)

I’m trying to eat about 4,000 calories a day and I’m tracking my protein to eat about 215 grams a day. I’ve been getting to higher weights like this and have been struggling to get 3 sets of 5 and I’ve had some injuries like a slight groin pull on my left side and pec tendon strain on my left side that have caused me to have to reset and build back up.

I work out Monday Wednesday Friday with Wednesday as a lighter squat day. What I’m wondering is if I should change the program to anything different. I don’t have a lot of experience with transitioning to an intermediate program. I am going up on my lifts every week slightly but now with this setback with my pec and my groin I’m resetting a bit again and building back up. I just don’t want to be doing something wrong that is going to jeopardize me increasing in strength.

I know without video you can’t really comment on why I’ve gotten injured. I was born with a club foot on my left foot so I have decreased mobility in my left ankle and I separated my left shoulder playing football in high school so this could be contributing to my form being off or getting injured. I’m resting 7 minutes or 8 for the squat between sets and I’m getting 8 hours of sleep.

So with all this in mind should I change my program up to something different? I thought it would be a good time since I’m going to have to reset a bit to rehab some injuries. Also should I be eating less calories while I’m rehabbing? Thanks, I’m a huge fan of the program!

1. Eat more protein and carbs.
    2. Rest 10 minutes between squat sets if you are close to failing reps.
    3. Stay on the novice program, especially if you are resetting. It is the quickest way back to where you left off.
    4. Regarding your injuries, post to the Managing Injuries forum if you want to get the input of coaches regarding your rehab.

How did you injure your pec and groin? If this happened in the weight room, definitely post videos of your lifts to the technique forum.

17 weeks of SSNLP is probably enough, especially if you are feeling dinged up and progress is coming to a halt. I would transition to a 3 day HLM.

H
    Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    DL 1x5

L
    Pause Squat 2x5 -20% from H day
    Press 3x5
    PC or chins

M
    Squat 3x5 -10% H day
    Cg Bench 3x5 -10% H day
    RDL or SLDL 3x5

You will want to deload slightly. Take 10% off your last working sets across as a starting point for you new H day

Thats my advice

Quote Originally Posted by sportslifter View Post
    Hello, I hope this is the right category for this thread. I’m 35, 200lbs and have been lifting for some years but recently got on the starting strength program. I am now on week 17. My lifts are as follows for 3 sets of 5 reps.

Deadlift 386
    Squat 355
    Bench 255
    Press 165
    Clean 145 (trying to improve form but this is 5 sets of 3)
    Did you really do 386x5x3 for your last deadlift session?

Thanks for the response! I injured my groin squatting and my pec benching. Again this might have something to do with lack of mobility in one ankle and a previous separated left shoulder.

Thanks doesn’t that seem like a lot of heavy sets of squats? I die just doing 3 sets of 5 squats! 5 sets of 5 heavy squats would be taxing! But if that’s a good intermediate program I’ll have a look at maybe trying that out. Thanks again.

No, sorry that was an error I did one set of 5 reps.

Some people do 4 heavy, 2 light, and 3 medium. There's other modifications in Barbell Rx and on Andy Baker's website.

BTW how tall are you?

Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post
    BTW how tall are you?
    There's the real question.

Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post
    Some people do 4 heavy, 2 light, and 3 medium. There's other modifications in Barbell Rx and on Andy Baker's website.
    OP (sportslifter), like heinz83 just mentioned, there are modifications that can be done to the program to make things progress. First, you really should stick with his original advice in his first comment to you above, which includes continuing to run out the NLP. You aren't done with it yet. Another that I would add to his list is "Move your Deadlift to your light Squat day". That's a simple modification that can help you run things out for a while more.

You mentioned that you have "reset a bit." What does that mean regarding your current numbers?

Also, describe your training progression from the beginning of this NLP to those numbers above, specifically for the Squat and the Deadlift. Meaning something like "started at 95x5x3, now at 355x5x3 with 5lb jumps". The reason why I am asking is that I'd like to see how they started, as your Deadlift is not where it should be related to your squats and that could help explain why the squats are beating you up so much.

I've been there. I'm 20 years older than you and heavier. My NLP came to a grinding halt (literally and figuratively) for a while once both my Squat and Deadlift went above 315lbs. There's no need for you to flail around looking for a new program, as there is content here that can get you back on track.

starting strength coach development program
    5’11”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast