starting strength gym

Thread: Jiu Jitsu and the NLP

Default Jiu Jitsu and the NLP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am currently working through the NLP and getting back into Jiu Jitsu. I have been trying to lift on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday then train Jiu Jitsu Tuesday and Thursday. I can tell that I am not getting the recovery needed and my progress on my lifts is starting to slow down. What is the best option for programming the lifts as well as training hard on the mats?

Probably either stop grappling until you finish your nlp, or switch to an intermediate program such as hlm. As I’m sure others will say too, there’s a ton of content on this subject out there, do a search and take a gander

What is your age, height, weight, lifts, weight jumps, daily calorie intake, and rest time between sets?

This isn't an unreasonable workload and shouldn't cause overtraining if you're young and healthy, as long as you are willing to eat and sleep a lot. If you're a male in your 20s you'll be able to do more than this and still make progress, particularly if 'getting back into Jiu Jitsu' doesn't mean something as intense as two hours of non-stop rolling twice a week. You're more likely to end up with stiffness, soreness, bruises, rashes, inflammations and so on than actually exhausting yourself to the point you can't get stronger under the bar. However, your progress probably won't look exactly like the NLP described in the books. You'll probably have to take more resets and making smaller jumps earlier than if you weren't doing the strength training at all. If things really do become difficult then you can reduce the strength training to twice a week.

There's no reason to stop Jiu Jitsu or strength training and do them one at a time unless you want optimal gains from one of them, in which case you should obviously devote all your resources to it.

Balancing BJJ and The Program | Nick Delgadillo

Try to not be a spazzy mess on the mat. Make sure you're eating properly. Modify things as needed (albeit reluctantly), but make sure you're squatting heavy twice a week and pulling heavy once a week if gaining strength is important to you.