starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stalling early in the deadlift, general advide after 6 weeks

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I almost stopped reading when I saw the word "vegan".

It's your choice.

Add weight to the bar and become big and strong or remain a vegan.

> The first thing you need to do is get some counseling for this eating disorder.

Ok, I can do that.

> You are not lifting weights that you need to drop workouts to worry about accumulating stress. Missing a workout might be *forced* on you, but it should never be *chosen*. Ditto "deloading." You are not failing to lift these weights because you are under-recovered. You are failing them because you are not strong.

No that's not my concern. I understand I'm not under-recovered, If anything I'm over-recovered. At least I feel quite recovered when I walk into the gym. I understand that the lifts are not heavy. The deadlift doesn't even feel heavy, I think I'm just missing them because I'm doing something wrong, I think I'm letting the bar pull away from my shins and I also don't think I'm properly "leg pressing" the deadlift (a cue I have never really understood). That's what I think, but I'm no coach. I'm not sure this is even a diet concern seeing as I can squat quite fine. It just feels more heavy than perhaps it should, which might be a problem with the diet. I am squatting to depth, so.

> If your deadlift is not at least 50 pounds ahead of your squat, do not power clean. Deadlift every workout until it's like, *75* pounds ahead. Cleans are a *break* from deadlifting. You do not need to take breaks.

Got it. I'm confused by the jumps I should take on the deadlift at this point. The program says 10 pound jumps the first several times. Is that still the case? I think I might've misunderstood the program on this point, I've tried reading everything I can about the jumps on the deadlift and I'm left confused. It seems like ones your deadlift is ahead of your squat you should do 5 pound jumps on the deadlift as well, and the squat will eventually catch up but that doesn't matter because at the point where they are close enough you're not taking 5 pound jumps on the squat every workout anyway. I think I got that right. But what jumps should I take in the position I'm in?

This process has been quite enlightening. The vegan diet is just not working. Thanks for your help Mark. It's going to take me some time to transition, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by z.seb View Post
    This process has been quite enlightening. The vegan diet is just not working. Thanks for your help Mark. It's going to take me some time to transition, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do in the meantime.
    You're going to get a cheeseburger.

Quote Originally Posted by z.seb View Post
    I'm confused by the jumps I should take on the deadlift at this point. The program says 10 pound jumps the first several times. Is that still the case? I think I might've misunderstood the program on this point, I've tried reading everything I can about the jumps on the deadlift and I'm left confused. It seems like ones your deadlift is ahead of your squat you should do 5 pound jumps on the deadlift as well, and the squat will eventually catch up but that doesn't matter because at the point where they are close enough you're not taking 5 pound jumps on the squat every workout anyway. I think I got that right. But what jumps should I take in the position I'm in?
    The deadlift is a very mechanically efficient lift, over a short range of motion, and is done for much lower volume. The program actually says *fifteen* pounds can be tolerated for the first several times, while the squat can tolerate ten pound jumps. These increases are kept up for as long as possible. The first programming change is to introduce the power clean as the deadlifts become fatiguing, which is also held off for as long as deadlifting every workout can be tolerated. These two phases usually line up, but not always: it is possible someone could continue to increase their squat by 10 and deadlift by 15 for three weeks, but cannot tolerate pulling heavy every workout past two. Or someone has to drop to 5 and 10 before introducing the power clean. But when in doubt, perform both adjustments at the same time. The goal is to pull heavy for as long as possible, because the deadlift serves as the heaviest lift and the primary driver of strength in the initial novice phase, and the heavier the deadlift can be gotten, the longer progress on the other lifts can be sustained

At this point, the deadlift is increased by 10 pounds every other workout, and the squat is increased by 5 pounds every workout, which means the two lifts will remain the same distance apart for this phase, as both increase by 15 pounds each week. This is the "middle novice" phase and is the most identifiable as the "NLP." You might start introducing 5 pound jumps on the deadlift towards the end if you deadlift is very heavy. But not before this point, and not before several weeks of ten pound jumps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12