starting strength gym

Thread: Figure 8 straps

Default Figure 8 straps

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A while ago I got severe elbow pain and had to stop deads. I did xyz to rehab and am still having an issue but much reduced. Anyway, I was also influenced by an article saying taking out the grip from deads made them much less harsh on recovery and safer, taking out the body twist that comes from mixed grip and reducing the risk of a torn bicep. The elbow thing created fear of the latter. So now I have the figure 8 straps and am now wondering, should I add some dedicated forearm work?

Second, at 5’7” and 200lbs, my doc says I am obese. I countered that my 36 inch waist trousers are pretty normal, but he still said I should drop 20lbs. I have slightly elevated bp, it was 132/85 on that day. What do you think? Maybe a conditioning day, half an hour on the bike and ten mins before training would be a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by stevein7 View Post
    So now I have the figure 8 straps and am now wondering, should I add some dedicated forearm work?
    To further rest your forearms?

Second, at 5’7” and 200lbs, my doc says I am obese. I countered that my 36 inch waist trousers are pretty normal, but he still said I should drop 20lbs. I have slightly elevated bp, it was 132/85 on that day. What do you think? Maybe a conditioning day, half an hour on the bike and ten mins before training would be a good idea?
    You are willing to take body composition advice from a GP?

Quote Originally Posted by stevein7 View Post
    I have slightly elevated bp, it was 132/85 on that day. What do you think?
    What is it normally? How many different ways did they screw up to get that reading (making you wait 30 minutes after you appointment time; rushing you to the exam room and immediately slapping a cuff on you; was it the right sized cuff; did they make sure that your ankles weren't crossed; did they keep asking questions during the reading, forcing you to talk; etc., etc.)?

To head this one off at the pass, spend a bit and get your own monitor to check at home and keep track of your trends. If it jives with what they measured, then there might be something there. But more than likely, you are consistently lower than whatever this week's floor is for pushing a prescription.

Your doctor is probably looking at the BMI score that comes up on the screen from the electronic chart. At 5'7", you will be "overweight" until you drop to 158 lb, and "obese" until you drop to 190, regardless of body composition. That should tell you something about the metric.

Sub-40" abdomen (not trouser waist, which is usually more narrow than your abdomen) is more important in the long run, after you get strong.

(All this assumes you are male.)

taking out the grip from deads made them much less harsh on recovery
    Somebody explain to me how that would work, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    The only thing I can think of is if the straps were worn in such a way as to dangle a bit, and resulting in a reduced range of motion vs gripping the bar just with a hook or mixed grip. Some of the figure 8 straps can allow the bar to be "gripped" just by the fingertips.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    In honesty, probably a mental thing, but I've noticed when my grip is tired and beat up, my entire body feels weak. Your grip interacts with the world, and it's why when you can't hold a bar in your hands, your pulling muscles basically give out too. I think Rip has discussed that mental quirk somewhere.

And I think the OP needs to get some walking in every day - take a 10 minute walk after every meal. Forget about the prowler till after that.

RHINO'S RHANT - TEN TALKS: ?High Blood Pressure Quick Fix Kit? - YouTube

For the grip strength just double overhand all the deadlift warmups then put the straps on.

starting strength coach development program
    Grip strength has been convincingly shown to be diagnostic for fatigue (I think this is at least partially responsible for the sensitivity of the deadlift to overtraining), and I think some poor bastard got their cause and effect mixed up.