starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long can I expect to keep adding 5lbs 10 weeks in?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Oh I forgot...On the topic of sleds. Do they work good enough if I don't have concrete? Can I just push the thing around in my yard? Was thinking about getting one at some point. Rogue has a few options that look decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.T View Post
    Oh I forgot...On the topic of sleds. Do they work good enough if I don't have concrete? Can I just push the thing around in my yard? Was thinking about getting one at some point. Rogue has a few options that look decent.
    You have to have a consistent surface to push the sled on. What if it rains on your yard?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You have to have a consistent surface to push the sled on. What if it rains on your yard?
    Yah, that was my concern. I have sandy loam here in Bastrop. My driveway is crushed road base. I'd have to use it when its dry out for sure.

I'll probably just get a rower.

I am going to move my deadlift to 10lb jumps to see if I can get that 50lbs up above my squat too.
    I'll probably just get a rower.
    Good Day Sir, Out of curiosity, how do you think your new rower will help you add 50lbs to your squat?

Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    Good Day Sir, Out of curiosity, how do you think your new rower will help you add 50lbs to your squat?
    The rower would just be used for 10 minutes prior to training to get my body temp and heart rate up (preferably on cold days)

I would rather have the sled, it looks more punishing.

Your warm-up sets under the bar are sufficient prep for your squats. If not, do an extra set with the empty bar.

Bastrop

The rower would just be used for 10 minutes prior to training to get my body temp and heart rate up (preferably on cold days)
    We're practically in the same weather. On cold days I just do my warmups with a hoodie and sweatpants. By my working sets I'm usually too hot to keep the hoodie on. If I get cold again I just put it on while resting between sets but that rarely happens.

It's literally a warm-up. If you're warm, you're good.

I would rather have the sled, it looks more punishing.
    Kind Sir, with all due respect, of the nicest kind...…..you've been running the LP for 10 weeks, almost flawlessly. A 160lb squat increase in 10 weeks is exactly what will happen to everyone that follows the program. Few do, however, you have. Well done.
    From experience, you can reap the benefits of another 100+lbs of weight on the bar in another 8 weeks if you don't start using any conditioning devices. No shit. Instead try adding anther 500 quality calories to your daily routine. Then after you squat 405, go buy a conditioning device. The gains that you'll come across now are easy(ier) to obtain and fucking nearly impossible later. Reap the benefits for a few more months now and then add some conditioning. You'll be better off because of it. Namaste. Best wishes. All respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your warm-up sets under the bar are sufficient prep for your squats. If not, do an extra set with the empty bar.
    Will do! Thanks for the feedback. That will save me some money I can use elsewhere. Every time I leave the house its like $200 bucks.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    Kind Sir, with all due respect, of the nicest kind.....you've been running the LP for 10 weeks, almost flawlessly. A 160lb squat increase in 10 weeks is exactly what will happen to everyone that follows the program. Few do, however, you have. Well done.
    From experience, you can reap the benefits of another 100+lbs of weight on the bar in another 8 weeks if you don't start using any conditioning devices. No shit. Instead try adding anther 500 quality calories to your daily routine. Then after you squat 405, go buy a conditioning device. The gains that you'll come across now are easy(ier) to obtain and fucking nearly impossible later. Reap the benefits for a few more months now and then add some conditioning. You'll be better off because of it. Namaste. Best wishes. All respect.
    Thanks, yah I'll hold off, going to see how long I can ride it out on the LP. I have a nice setup finally so I've been enjoying it. I sure would like to add a set of the iron master adjustable dumbells for assistance work at some point in the future too.

I've been skimming thru Mean Ole Mr. Gravity...I enjoyed the homage to Jim Varney.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast