starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How long can I expect to keep adding 5lbs 10 weeks in?

Default How long can I expect to keep adding 5lbs 10 weeks in?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm 42, currently about 170lb 6' tall and been running the LP for about 10 weeks with no skipped sessions ( I train at home alone with a rack ) Eating about 2900 cals a day and getting about 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight.

Starting workout : 8/16/23 149lb
    squat - 105lb
    press - 70lb
    bench - 95lb
    deadlift - 165

To present: 10/31/23 170lb
    squat - 265lb
    press - 111.5lb
    bench - 155lb
    deadlift - 275lb
    powerclean - 117lb

I started to add a light weds to help with recovery, then friday going up 5lbs for 1 set, and dropping a small amount to about 95% of the new friday weight. Then monday going up 5lbs for my fhives. I want to see how long I can expect this to run out before I switch to Andy's Garage Gym Warrior HLM.

Main goal is to get my bodyweight up to about 190-205lb. All in all I am happy with the results so far. Just got me a new Buddy Caps All American Bar (It is nice. I prefer the knurl to my B&R bar)

I am eyeballing picking up a c2 rower to help with warming up. (For warming up I usually just start my squat warmup sets)

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.T View Post
    I started to add a light weds to help with recovery, then friday going up 5lbs for 1 set, and dropping a small amount to about 95% of the new friday weight. Then monday going up 5lbs for my fhives. I want to see how long I can expect this to run out before I switch to Andy's Garage Gym Warrior HLM.
    I'm not sure what program you're doing, but it isn't the novice linear progression (which is the program you should be doing.)

If you're serious about getting stronger, buy the book, read the book, and do the program by the book.

You should absolutely be able to add 5lbs a workout for several months. If you aren't able to, then you're fucking something up majorly.

I'm 42, currently about 170lb 6' tall and been running the LP for about 10 weeks with no skipped sessions ( I train at home alone with a rack ) Eating about 2900 cals a day and getting about 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight.
    See the problem?

its hard to tell how long you can keep adding weight to the bar, but as long as you can, you should.

I would add about 2k cal per day. you are not in any danger of becoming fat at your current height/weight ration and the surplus of calories will really help you progress

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    See the problem?
    Yah, I know I should eat more...logistics.... I trip the store for basics is about $250 everytime I go.

I'll see if I can fit more calories into my budget. This stupid ass administration hasn't been helpful when it comes to stocking the pantry.

I own all the books. There is mention of switching to a light weds when 5lb jumps cause form to break down. I'm at this point only doing that for the squat so I don't hose the form up.

I run a fairly physically demanding business so I am trying to be cautious as to not hurt myself bad. I threw my back out once back in Feb on a light ass deadlift and was out of commission for about 3-4 days. (It scared the shit out of me)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Gorton View Post
    its hard to tell how long you can keep adding weight to the bar, but as long as you can, you should.

I would add about 2k cal per day. you are not in any danger of becoming fat at your current height/weight ration and the surplus of calories will really help you progress
    I had a long day today and came home and just started eating before a evening training session. My bench and press are getting tough, but still getting all my reps in. I'm resting 5min between sets, and 7min before the last set. I will see if I can sneak in another 1000cals

What do yall think about adding a rower for 10-12min warmup sessions prior to starting squats?

I'm going to get the lifts checked out that the Austin SS gym here soon when my busy season slows down. I've been just filming my squat and press with the gopro on a tripod so I can see what to improve on.

Appreciate everybody!

Ground beef and rice are your best friends. Pretty cheap and easy to make a lot. Add cheese for more calories.

I'm resting 5min between sets, and 7min before the last set. I will see if I can sneak in another 1000cals

What do yall think about adding a rower for 10-12min warmup sessions prior to starting squats?
    Amazing.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Ground beef and rice are your best friends. Pretty cheap and easy to make a lot. Add cheese for more calories.
    And hot sauce! Really helps the beef and rice not get boring.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast