starting strength gym

Thread: Training every 72 hours

Default Training every 72 hours

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Curious if anyone has tried training on a 72 hour schedule. As an example, M/Th/Su; We/Sa/Tu etc, and your thoughts.

I'm doing that now. Just started.

That's what my husband (61) typically does, and it works well for him.

yes I have tried this (I am 49 y.o.) but tbh I now regret it and would not recommend it to anyone unless they have a very good reason for not training 3x weekly on the MWF (or similar) schedule.
    Maybe if they are 60+ I would maybe recommend it to others. If I could do it again, with NLP I would absolutely stick to the recommendations.

My thinking at the time was, hey cool - 1 extra day to recover.
    But this logic turns out to be flawed and now I see it more as, training every 72h gives me less chance to accumulate the amount of stress required to drive an adaptation.

Just my 2 cents but if you literally cannot train 3 times per week, then what is your alternative? Not training at all would be worse :-).

In Practical Programming, in the advanced novice section, this is discussed as "One on, Two off." It is something that can be used to extend an NLP for quite a while. It sounds like it is used primarily in the advanced novice stage, there is nothing that speaks of using it at the beginning of an NLP.

Quote Originally Posted by BigNaz42 View Post
    In Practical Programming, in the advanced novice section, this is discussed as "One on, Two off." It is something that can be used to extend an NLP for quite a while. It sounds like it is used primarily in the advanced novice stage, there is nothing that speaks of using it at the beginning of an NLP.
    Correct.

Even if you train MWF, you still have 72 hrs on the weekend. Do you come back detrained and with no memory of how to squat? No, in fact you are refreshed and recovered. However taking that much time to recover after each workout across an entire year of training would mean fewer opportunities to PR. So there's a tradeoff. Human adaptation doesn't always occur in consistent, neatly organized intervals of days or weeks. One schedule might work better than another, you just have to figure out what works best for you.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by NicholasAstro View Post
    Curious if anyone has tried training on a 72 hour schedule. As an example, M/Th/Su; We/Sa/Tu etc, and your thoughts.
    The big question is, why are you considering it? Is 3x a week not getting you progress? Is 3x a week wearing you out? Is it a logistical reason? Does it just seem cool?

Peoples' thoughts and experience with the approach will have a context, and your inquiry has one, too. Probably best to know those, and see if they match...