starting strength gym

Thread: Power clean or light/ medium deadlift

Default Power clean or light/ medium deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My training buddy and I have ran through the novice program a few years ago and run a HLM style training. I like doing power cleans, but my buddy does not. Could he do a light deadlift for 3x5 instead of cleans. Workout bellow. We r both 27 he is just not as athletic and refuses to learn it.

Bench 5x5 H
    Squat 3x5 L
    Power clean H 5x3/ wants to do deadlift at 3x5 L would use a double over hand grip to insure a limiting factor.

Squat 5x5 H
    Press 5x5 H
    Rows 5x5 H

Deadlift 1x5 H
    Bench 4x5 M
    Squat 4x5 M

sorry if this is a dumb question but isn't the power clean considered a light (L) pull?

I don't think that just because you do 5x3, it makes something heavy, does it?
    Same question for Rows. wouldn't his be considered a light or medium pull?

People do that, I have Paul horns book and he writes that people can do 3x5 at 80% for deadlifts at a certain point. I always did 2x5 at like 85 or so%. Now I just donít do a light pull if Iím not cleaning, he can just chin I guess too.

Quote Originally Posted by gv3055 View Post
    sorry if this is a dumb question but isn't the power clean considered a light (L) pull?

I don't think that just because you do 5x3, it makes something heavy, does it?
    Same question for Rows. wouldn't his be considered a light or medium pull?
    It's true that the lines between light and medium day pulling exercises can be a little blurry. Both are certainly light(er) than your heavy deadlift (or halting / rack pull / block pull). I would say take a look at your schedule and pick the lift that least taxes your back musculature; put that one on the workout that comes before your deadlift workout. This way you're fresh for your heaviest pull of the week. That's my logic, but opinions on programming may vary.