starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 day novice program

Default 4 day novice program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Rip and fellow strength enthusiasts

I'm more of a beginner (squat 220 for 5, bench 176 for 5, press 110 for 5, dl 220 for 5 (just started dl recently)) and now I want to get into Starting Strength.
    The problem is that I can't train on Wednesday at all or at the weekend consistently. What would a good SS LP look like for someone who can only train on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and sometimes, but not consistently on Sa/So?

Im 22, m, 5'8 ft, 170 pounds and dont really have too much issues recovering with my 'powerbuilding' split Ive run the last few month.

Thank you

The NLP is 3 days/week, and that's what you should do. Buy the book, read the book, do the program as outlined in the book.

Hello. Welcome to Starting Strength!

Please start by reading the blue book if you have not done so already - it will be your bible for the upcoming months.

Since the NLP, as written, requires 3 full-body efforts per week and you only have M,T,T,F available, then you will have to make the best of it and complete at least 2 workouts per week on those days. Training on 2 consecutive days, if you are doing the recommended program on each day, will likely lead to recovery issues as soon as things start getting heavy - although I admit don't really remember what it feels like to be 22 .
    Being consistent becomes exponentially more important if you are down to 2 workouts per week, so try your hardest to not miss workouts if you are doing this.

The more experienced guys may have a better suggestion, but I personally would recommend those two days as M and F, and if for some reason you can free up an hour on Wednesday, do so and get at least some training in - even if you can only find time to squat on Wednesday, it would be better than nothing imho.
    Otherwise, just make the needed adjustments according to your schedule as needed and keep striving for PRs every workout as you would if you were training MWF.

The alternative is to not train at all, which would not be a good solution.

Good luck!

I'm going to answer your question in a minute, but can you explain why training on Wednesday (or Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday or Saturday) is not a viable option?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I got absolutely no free time at Wednesday, no chance that I can get a workout done that day. Sunday/Saturday could hypothetically work sometimes, but it would be very unconsistent and I really want to train on Monday, as I got a personal trainer (more or less) in my University Gym there.

Thank you for the kind answer, I already got the blue book

The thing is that Im not a complete novice and two training days a week probably dont provide enough stimulus.

On Reddit someone has given me the following answer:

"Unofficial 4-day Novice:

1: SQ/PR 2: BP/DL 3: SQ/PR 4: BP/DL

Then start alternating DL with PC, add chins on 1 and 3."

What do you think about that?

I just dont have the time and on Sa/So I'd be absolutely inonsistent/wont have a gym membership for the WE soon anyways

Quote Originally Posted by LuggiSchimmel View Post
    I got absolutely no free time at Wednesday, no chance that I can get a workout done that day. Sunday/Saturday could hypothetically work sometimes, but it would be very unconsistent and I really want to train on Monday, as I got a personal trainer (more or less) in my University Gym there.
    Either a troll, or a very stupid person.

Tf are you talking about lol

starting strength coach development program
    If you see initials PTMOL after someone's name, now you know what it means.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast