starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Recommendations to run deadlift up

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My last back tweak was so bad I had to pull myself out of bed by the headboard, and I was getting some wild spasms that were like being electrocuted. It scared the shit out of me. (This is why I initally loaded my DL at 5lbs instead of the 10lbs recommended... My back is much stronger now than it was back then. I felt and heard a click or pop the other night when it happened, got a lil dizzy... I think doing the reverse hypers right after helped but mostly just doing what you all have said and just getting moving and getting some blood flow to the injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.T View Post
    My last back tweak was so bad I had to pull myself out of bed by the headboard, and I was getting some wild spasms that were like being electrocuted. It scared the shit out of me. (This is why I initally loaded my DL at 5lbs instead of the 10lbs recommended... My back is much stronger now than it was back then. I felt and heard a click or pop the other night when it happened, got a lil dizzy... I think doing the reverse hypers right after helped but mostly just doing what you all have said and just getting moving and getting some blood flow to the injury.
    Hypers, reverse hypers, situps, and any abz isolation are possibly the worst things you can do for a back tweak, or a tweaky back. As I've explained many times. But go ahead and enjoy your training.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.T View Post
    Yah I already drink about a half gallon a day and take about 60-80g whey isolate.
    That's already 120-140g of protein before you've eaten a bite of food. I know I've heard Efferding say that you don't need to be focusing so much on protein when you're trying to gain weight (not necessarily trying to hit the 1g per lb of bodyweight). It tends to be more filling per calorie than carbs are. Also consider the "protein leverage hypothesis", which basically says your body will naturally try to get a certain level of protein in the diet, after which you won't want to eat. This is hypothesized as the reason why, for example, Wal-Mart had to invest in a million scooters for people to get around their stores after the government started recommending that we eat a bunch of grains in order to be healthy. People started eating carbs in place of protein and ended up consuming way more calories as a result, combined with sitting on their butts more, and we see the result.

Anyway, I'm 43 and in the last year I've gone from 180 to 207 without thinking about protein intake (and don't tell Rip, but I can kind of still make out my abs if I squint hard enough and the light is just right). I do have a scoop of whey most days, but it's not what is causing the weight gain. Training hard and forcing myself to eat a lot of rice and pasta along with beef and in general never being hungry is what did it. If I'm reading right, you went from 140-ish to 180, so it's not like you're not eating, but maybe focusing more on carbs will get you that next twenty pounds if you want it.
    And for me, what's worked to increase my deadlift (still nothing to write home about, but I've been kind of a bitch about deadlifting) is just doing one heavy set of 5 per week on Friday, 5 pounds heavier than the week before. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Hunt View Post
    That's already 120-140g of protein before you've eaten a bite of food. I know I've heard Efferding say that you don't need to be focusing so much on protein when you're trying to gain weight (not necessarily trying to hit the 1g per lb of bodyweight). It tends to be more filling per calorie than carbs are. Also consider the "protein leverage hypothesis", which basically says your body will naturally try to get a certain level of protein in the diet, after which you won't want to eat. This is hypothesized as the reason why, for example, Wal-Mart had to invest in a million scooters for people to get around their stores after the government started recommending that we eat a bunch of grains in order to be healthy. People started eating carbs in place of protein and ended up consuming way more calories as a result, combined with sitting on their butts more, and we see the result.

Anyway, I'm 43 and in the last year I've gone from 180 to 207 without thinking about protein intake (and don't tell Rip, but I can kind of still make out my abs if I squint hard enough and the light is just right). I do have a scoop of whey most days, but it's not what is causing the weight gain. Training hard and forcing myself to eat a lot of rice and pasta along with beef and in general never being hungry is what did it. If I'm reading right, you went from 140-ish to 180, so it's not like you're not eating, but maybe focusing more on carbs will get you that next twenty pounds if you want it.
    And for me, what's worked to increase my deadlift (still nothing to write home about, but I've been kind of a bitch about deadlifting) is just doing one heavy set of 5 per week on Friday, 5 pounds heavier than the week before. Amazing.
    Thanks for the input. I just got a big ass tub of maltodextrin powder recently and use that to sneak in more carbs before workout and afterwards. I am going to get a new oven soon so I can go back to making pizza from scratch again. Once I start getting to do that again I should be able to pack some more weight on.

Current calorie and food intake I am staying right at 180-184.

I'm in late stage novice at the moment and trying to squeeze out the most I can there.

I will get there come hell or high water.

It sounds like you're making solid progress, especially with those 5 reps and feeling ready to up the weight. That sweatshirt trick for protecting your ribs is genius too! Hopefully, that belt arrives soon so you can tackle that 320lbs goal.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakotas66s View Post
    It sounds like you're making solid progress, especially with those 5 reps and feeling ready to up the weight. That sweatshirt trick for protecting your ribs is genius too! Hopefully, that belt arrives soon so you can tackle that 320lbs goal.
    The belt is nice. (It even smells good, reminds me of a Dillards circa 1990s...)

I moved over to Andy Bakers garage gym warrior to run that out for 12 weeks to see what happens.

I also made a tire sled to do a lil' conditioning a few times a week.

I had a minor back tweak deadlifting 330lb I think it was...I am working back up to that with the current programming. I am about 4 weeks into garage gym warrior which is just a HLM template.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345