starting strength gym

Thread: High Level Adult Hockey

Default High Level Adult Hockey

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I wanted to see if anyone had specific experience either training, or being someone whom plays high level adult league hockey and does the starting strength program. The types of leagues I play in are littered with ex college and junior hockey guys.

I am 37 years old, 5'8, 193lb.

Lifts
    Squat:350x5
    Deadlift:400x5
    Bench:250x5
    Press:150x5

My very broad question/topic for discussion is this:

At what point would you say someone is getting too big for a sport like hockey? I would guess that hockey is probably worse than other major sports, where they probably undervalue strength more and that many NHLers could greatly benefit from a program like SS.

So, we can all agree that someone my height should not weigh 135lb(my sophomore high school weight), but I am guessing that weighing 250lb with gigantic lift numbers would not make sense either. So, somewhere in between is a weight (and thus a strength level) that maintains the balance, speed, and acceleration to compete at high levels.

Obviously I am not asking for a specific weight for my exact case, but I am curious if anyone has a lot of experience with precisely hockey and this question.

Like with anything else, you get as big and strong as you can without it interfering with actually performing your sport. A 5'8" guy won't be able to get to 250 with huge lift numbers if he is also playing hockey, or doing much of anything on his time away from training. More strength training won't make you slow, but less time playing hockey might, and you know how much time you need to spend playing hockey to be good at it

I think it would largely depend on your play style. If you’re a defender and 250, you’d be an absolute reckoning force. Your only limitation would be your ability to be explosive: IE going from either a glide or stop (from faceoff or off the boards) and getting to speed so you can intercept an enemy offender.

As an offender, the same argument could be made. Personally I found when playing left wing if I skated as fast as possible with the puck and just barreled down the ice, most people would get out of my way.

Hockey guy here also playing competitive beer league. I have found that getting strong really helps with explosive direction changes and those first couple quick strides, as well as being strong on the puck. However, engaging more muscle in an explosive manner does seem to use more oxygen, more quickly. Because of this you may need to shorten your shifts or play smarter (use your bursts more conservatively), especially if you are carrying some extra weight. Extra cardio may help if you have the capacity. At 42 years old I don't have the capacity so I consider hockey my cardio, haha.

Overall, I think you will find that the pros of being strong will outweigh the cons of being "too big" on the ice...but it is a choice you will have to make. I had to make that choice due to dirt bike racing, where being big is an extreme disadvantage.