starting strength gym

Thread: Couple questions about NLP after a bit of a layoff

Default Couple questions about NLP after a bit of a layoff

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So basically I trained and competed in powerlifting and strongman for a few years.

Two years ago I tore my right pec, it needs surgery to fix it but I haven’t been able to take time off work, so after a year of rehabbing it myself I got my bench to 245 and my log to 227. Best before injury was bench 320 and log 252.

Fast forward another year to now, I got back into boxing after a 6 year lay off and still lift.

This past few months I burned out, trying to drop a weight class while not managing stress for work etc.

So I said I’m going to take the rest of the year to lift, and I’ll spar a couple times a month to shake the rust off.

I started NLP for the first time a couple weeks ago, has anyone any experience getting back into lifting after time off using NLP?
    I’m finding it hard to keep patient with small increases in weight per session (except bench, I’m fine with that being nice and slow).

I’m also reluctant to add more than 10lbs bodyweight, as I’m carrying a bit more fat than I’d like already weighing 208, and fights in February will be at 189, anyone have any experience like this that they can share?

You can make larger jumps at the beginning.

How tall are you at 208?

A couple of points come to mind.

First, the NLP doesn't just mean five pounds a workout. At first, the jumps can be bigger - the idea is to start with what you can move for five reps just before form suffers. An already strong novice should expect to be able to take bigger jumps for the first couple weeks or so.

Second centers around a fundamental question: Why are you lifting? Your purpose for training will inform the answer to your frustrations, etc.

Five pounds a workout is not slow. To my knowledge it's on the order of the fastest increase promised by any program. The speed of its increase is often viewed as a detriment against it

Did you start excessively light? That's the only thing I can think would lead you to regard this as "slow."

You say you are taking a year off, but plan on fighting in the 189 class in February? It sounds like the first bad experience cutting weight didn't teach you a lesson. If you try this and the NLP at the same time you are going to have a bad fucking time.

Ya 8 weeks to drop to 189 is grand. And, if it’s a struggle, I’ll just have to make do at 200.

It wasn’t the cut that did me in, that was fine and successful, it was the work, life, and financial stress on top that burned me out. That and that I didn’t take a diet break like I should have.

Ya I started light, at
    155 squat
    95 press
    245 deadlift
    135 bench.

Now at as of tomorrow, and Monday for press
    245 squat
    160 bench
    345 deadlift
    120 press.

All of which easy, except annoyingly the press, which in the past used to fly up.

The why is because I want to get back to around my best numbers. I miss feeling strong, and it helps in the ring, no matter what anyone says.
    Plus, I’d like to compete in strongman again at some point.

I took bigger jumps at the start. I’m starting to enjoy the process a lot more now this week in fairness.

Not using sleeves or belt and wanting to push those numbers up, that’s becoming very motivating.
    For a few years there there was always compa to train for, and injuries to recover from, so this is the first time since 2019 where I’ve devoted time to zero equipment lifting.

I made some larger jumps but now I’m taking it handy with 5lb jumps.

To be honest the impatience is starting to clear off, no sleeves or belt has my motivation way up. It’s been too long since I took time to train beltless and sleeveless, and feeling my quads for the first time in years, normally it took amrap sets to feel them in sleeves or wraps.

I’m 5’10”.

Good luck with your training.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't think you are going to be unable to cut to 189. I think cutting to 189 is going to severely impact your training. It is going to look like "burnout." If you are planning on cutting to 189 at 5'10" olin the next week, you are not "focusing on lifting" by definition. You are "focused on cutting," because your lifts WILL suffer.

Those numbers are insanely light, given the numbers you were hitting before. Nowhere in any description of the NLP is it required or recommended that you roll back your weights so aggressively. A VERY aggressive reset has you beating your old PRs in a month at the longest. This "six months to hit a PR" strategy you are employing is something you appear to have originated yourself.

That said, a fairly (though not entirely) novel approach to not doing the program. Kudos for that.