starting strength gym

Thread: NLP or 4 days after some fat loss?

Default NLP or 4 days after some fat loss?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi all

Some context; ran NLP after a long layoff, early last year. HLM for around 7 months post NLP. Some much needed fat loss earlier this year, losing 44lbs while maintaining numbers on the bar, still doing 3 x 5 on the main lifts (1 x 5 on deadlift). Post fat loss, ran a powerbuilding template with a slight surplus. Very pleased with the results.
    Now I want to get back to chasing the big numbers.

Question: thoughts on the program below would be appreciated, or would a short NLP be worth doing?

Monday: Press 5 x 3, Bench 5 x 5 (80%), Barbell Tricep extension 3 x 10

Tuesday: Squat 3 x 5 (80%), Deadlift 1 x 5, Chins

Wednesday: OFF

Thursday: Bench 3 x 5, Press 5 x 5 (80%), Dips 3 x 10

Friday: Squat 3 x 5, Snatch grip deadlift 3 x 5, Barbell Row 3 x 8, Curls

Weekend: OFF

Trialled this last week and felt good, but squat 5 x 5 beat the piss out of me, so thinking 3 x 5 light day.

Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 209 lbs

Last working weights and recently tested 1rm
    Squat: 145kg (320lbs), 180kg (397lbs)
    Deadlift: 200kg (441lbs), 227.5kg (502lbs)
    Bench: 107.5kg (237lbs), 120kg (265lbs)
    Press: 67.5kg (149lbs), 77.5kg (171lbs)

Do your volume work at 90%, not 80%. If that feels too rough, drop some of the accessories.

Drop all the accessories, and gain some weight, would be my advice. But you said "powerbuilding" so you're not interested in hearing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Drop all the accessories, and gain some weight, would be my advice. But you said "powerbuilding" so you're not interested in hearing that.
    Thanks Mark

I'm definitely willing to gain some weight and currently eating for that purpose. The fat loss was what I felt I needed needed at the time. Right or wrong, productive or not its done now. The powerbuilding template of Andy's was something I wanted to try and was fun. Right now, I want to get back on track with progression in the main lifts (particularly the press).

With that, am I correct in my take away from the advice given above, that I should keep the layout above minus the accessory work and with volume work at 90%? Or would another run at NLP be more productive?
    I've read the blue book and PP several times but, having done 3 x 5 throughout, I don't think this counts as a layoff as weekly progression was continued (or the numbers at least maintained during the deficit) and I've basically been doing intermediate (one lift a day) programming but with a lot more accessory sets.

Thanks again to you and Maybach for taking the time to reply

Because you don't know the answer do the short NLP first. If you knew that you didn't need the NLP I'd say differently. When you are an intermediate you can do what you need.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shenfield View Post
    Because you don't know the answer do the short NLP first. If you knew that you didn't need the NLP I'd say differently. When you are an intermediate you can do what you need.
    Thanks Martin

I think you're right and this is what I'll do. I guess asking the question was kind of the answer.

Thanks again man