starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workload volume versus intensity

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I think Rip would ask you how much you are eating, and then say its not enough.
    Personally, it works for me... the more I eat, the better I recover.

Quote Originally Posted by tennisgod View Post
    I think Rip would ask you how much you are eating, and then say its not enough.
    Personally, it works for me... the more I eat, the better I recover.

I definitely agree, more food = more strength, but do disagree with some of the reckless abandon that seems to embrace that on the forum here...at least for me. I get fat pretty easy and I've never been lean in my life. When training hard and being active, I can avoid getting too fat, but really don't see the point in anyone going over say 20% bodyfat unless you're weighing over 300 pounds. Right now, I'm about 5'9" and 195 pounds at I'm guessing 16% at 33 years old. I'm willing to accept slightly slower gains to maintain a more reasonable level of conditioning.

I think for most people the problem is nearly always they do not eat anywhere near enough, saying 'eat more!' is usually the most effective way to come about an improvement in strength.

However like you mention It can go a little bit in the wrong direction. The problem is, if you say to someone eat a load more but stipulate not too much junk food etc they get confused, bless them, and will end up trying to do some sort of rubbish like a 'clean bulk' (this term really makes me cringe, but I don't want to start ranting about this now!) which in most peoples hands will end up being more destructive than a subscription to 'muscle and fitness'.

So it can be easier for people to say just eat more.

Eating a lot of the right stuff is harder than eating a load of junk food and cakes etc and it does not taste as good! SO people just eat everything in sight including a load of crap, they get stronger but end up putting on more body fat than they needed to.

I don't think eating a lot is the culprit as much as eating a lot of shit?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JC400 View Post

I don't think eating a lot is the culprit as much as eating a lot of shit?

Yes, I'll concede that...eating a bunch of shit definitely is worse than eating more nutritious foods, but mostly just because it's easier to get a whole lot more calories, not just because it is shitty food. I'm sure if I really did GOMAD and still ate other foods, I'd pack on some significant fat because of all the extra calories. Of course, I'm 33 (not too old, but not 16 either!) and have a slower metabolism.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12