starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: impact of strength training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by coldfire View Post
    What's wrong with you? Running away is not 70sbig thinking!
    You're so right, that was a rookie mindset talking. No more amateur hour now, I'll get my mind right.

2 words: Squat ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
    2 words: Squat ass.
    +1. my wife uses my ass for a drink tray.

"impact of barbell training" hmm. well-I'd have to admit I'm more obsessive now. There is something about being able to free weight squat ATG with proper form (no butt winking!!!) and I'll be @#$$ until I can do that. Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger.....

I originally started strength training to improve my martial arts. I've been training in Kenpo for 14 years and being 5'6", 155lbs. wasn't doing me any favors. I significantly increased my strength and got my bodyweight up to 180lbs. and that made a huge difference in my ability. I've since taken an interest in Powerlifting and hope to compete soon. I also am interested in becoming a strength coach.

1) Better at chose sport?
    - I powerlifted from 1993-2005, so yeah it did.

2) Has it made you more useful around the house?
    - If anything it detracts from the time I might otherwise spend on DIY house stuff, but in all honestly, if I wasn't training I would probably replace that time with something nonproductive. Obviously, lifting stuff/moving stuff is a lot easier.

3) General athletic ability: Can you jump higher? Run faster? Hit harder?
    - I have no proof, but I am sure I can. I do know that I am in much better shape and look a lot better than most of my peers I know (I am going on 40).

4) Any other impact on your life?
    - Tons of positive impact. Courage, confidence, self-reliance. Try getting nervous about something after you've squatted 600+ in from of 200 people. Also, helops me "stay young." I feel like I am a better role model for my kids.

Best,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    I feel like I am a better role model for my kids.
    Can't underestimate the value of that one.

I'm not at the kids stage in my life, but I do think "how would I like my kids to be?". Strong is very high up the list. If I value that, and not going after it in my own life, something is f***** up. (All these parents that live through their children... music/sport/etc... it's all there for adult taking too).

Quote Originally Posted by DeepBlue View Post
    Can't underestimate the value of that one.

I'm not at the kids stage in my life, but I do think "how would I like my kids to be?". Strong is very high up the list. If I value that, and not going after it in my own life, something is f***** up. (All these parents that live through their children... music/sport/etc... it's all there for adult taking too).
    I laugh when parents my age say things like "my kids wore me out." I am like really, your 5 year old wore you out? How pathetic is that? Energy is a huge part of being a good parent, and what better source of energy is strength?

Also it's kinda' cool that my kids literally think I am the strongest guy in the world!

starting strength coach development program
    The kids thing is huge. When my niece and nephew are over I give them shoulder rides at the same time. To echo DaveR, they both think I am the strongest guy ever and that is something you can't put a price tag on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12