starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling drained after 4 Weeks of SS

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    SS is hard. It beats you up, even when you do it right. Once my squats moved North of about 235 for the first time, my joints ached.

Persevere. Eat more, drink more milk. Watch your form.

You're half the age I was when I first did SS ... and 6" taller, and 30 pounds heavier. My linear progression didn't stop 'till I was squatting about 275; based on your age and frame, yours should finish higher than that, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepBlue View Post
    He's 'only' at 115% of BW or so at the moment. I'd say he's got a few more weeks at every other day, no?
    Possibly, it's hard to say. Usually after about a month of consistent training using the every-other-workout deadlift schedule, I switch my trainees over to once a week for the dead. Maybe that's premature, but that's the way I've always done it. Usually by that time, they're feeling a little "stale" on the movement, hard to explain.

-S.

Quote Originally Posted by pkmg View Post
    I guess at 6'5" and about 211lbs it is the eating.
    ......I just need to eat more.
    I believe you have already answered your question. I think I remember reading a post on Rip Q&A where a person asked about how much he should weigh at 6 ft 4 inches. The person was currently at 215 or so lbs. Rip gave an answer: 270-300 lbs.

You sir are severely underweight at this height and need to gain some weight.

I can personally attest as I used to be 6'2" @ 190 and then I started to eat like I meant it. That was 4 months ago. At 190, 305 felt like a bear on my back. I am now 237 and repping it with ease, now 400 feels like a bear. Good things should still continue to happen as I get up to 270.

Its time for you to eat for more than just recovery. You have start eating for growth too. Even 10 extra pounds of bodyweight makes a world of a difference in developing your strength. Keep at it...it will be worth your while.

Happy eating...

I have already thought about the Deadlift frequency, but at the moment it's the grip that gives me a hard time.

I trained today and it was heavy, but not impossible.
    I will just suck it up, eat more, sleep more and get through that.

Thanks for your advice!

I think if you stick with the program, make sure you are eating enough & getting enough sleep you'll gradually adapt.

I started SS in August and considered quitting several times because I felt so run down. When I started paying attention to the amount of sleep I was getting and what I was eating I started feeling better.

Hang in there :-)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    Possibly, it's hard to say. Usually after about a month of consistent training using the every-other-workout deadlift schedule, I switch my trainees over to once a week for the dead. Maybe that's premature, but that's the way I've always done it. Usually by that time, they're feeling a little "stale" on the movement, hard to explain.

-S.
    Ahh. "stale" is perfect for what I'm starting to feel after ~4 weeks. But I'm going to keep DLing with 5kg increments for the next week or two, then drop it to 2kg. By then I expect at least one stall, and to be near to 185%+ of BW, which I suspect I will switch to 1x a week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12