starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gaining weight on a budget

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Some good advice in here! Back to the original post: since when did pizza become a food?

Quote Originally Posted by quadancer View Post
    Some good advice in here! Back to the original post: since when did pizza become a food?

wat?

pizza is ambrosia--food of the fucking gods man!

Eggs and Milk are definitely the best bang for the buck nutrients wise. If you only use half a gallon/carton a day that's $2 or less.

Also, powdered milk is very cheap and can be used to enhance your standard milk with more protein/carbs.

If you can afford to buy in bulk do it. You save in the long run. Befriending someone with a Costco/Sam's/Trader Joe's membership will behoove you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post
    Also, powdered milk is very cheap
    Just wanted to chime in that this hasn't been true in general for several years - milk mix is actually more expensive than the bottled stuff in a lot of places. This was thanks to the rising demand overseas - the subsidized slaughter of moo-cows to raise the price of milk really doesn't help the common man either though.

I would seriously love something like this on so many levels, if it were cost effective.

"Dude, you're drinking out of a bucket."

the costco or sam's club idea is subperb. what about a bag of potatoes? sweet potatoes, bananas, honey. buy chop meat in bulk- hunting season is here-post some adds on craigslist see about deer meat. Pasta or rice in bulk 25 or 50 lb pound bags. have a farm near you that sells eggs or goat milk? might be a little cheaper than the super market. buy your lunch meat in bulk buy by the loaf not pound.

Don't buy lunch meat... It's often 5-7 dollars per lb (at least around here). Buy some decent meat, the roast it. You can often eat better for cheaper if you are willing to put a roast in a crock pot or put something to slow roast in the oven during your workout.

I get Wal-Mart milk ("Great Value") for $1.68/gallon at a Wal-Mart neighborhood market and for $1.88/gallon at Super Wal-Mart.

carbs is teh devil.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongIslander,NY View Post
    the costco or sam's club idea is subperb. what about a bag of potatoes? sweet potatoes, bananas, honey. buy chop meat in bulk- hunting season is here-post some adds on craigslist see about deer meat. Pasta or rice in bulk 25 or 50 lb pound bags. have a farm near you that sells eggs or goat milk? might be a little cheaper than the super market. buy your lunch meat in bulk buy by the loaf not pound.

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    carbs is teh devil.
    No, THIS is the devil.

This thread has been very useful. I'm lazy and hate to cook and always spend beaucoup bucks on food. GOMAD has been a godsend. I never ever get sick of whole milk. I do get sick of pbj sandwiches. I think I'll try to switch it up with tuna and boiled egg on toasted potato bread (mmmmm...evil carbs...mmmmmm). I could just cut out the bread and milk when it comes time to make weight.

(And enjoy a real meal at a restaurant every weekend or so)

starting strength coach development program
    My favorites are ground sirloin from the butcher (I got 2.5 lbs for $4 yesterday), eggs, whole milk, potatoes (talk about calorie bang for the buck), and uncooked beans by the bulk... throw in some broccoli and apples for the healthy stuff and call it a day.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast