starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beer and it's negative effects on training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Krump View Post
    You're not oversimplifying a little, you're oversimplifying to the extent of introducing detrimental notions that do not address specific problems. Sorry for the upcoming rant but it irks me whenever people propose "moderation" as a solution for anything. The maxim of moderation avoids thinking about issues in pragmatic and useful ways. As a guideline, the aphorism of "moderation in all things" is utterly useless - it is a subjective concept completely dependent upon context. Utilizing the moderation maxim as some sort of guidance is silly bs because it is theoretically flawed. It's a catch-all concept, like saying, "In every situation just do the right thing." Wow, very helpful, but what is "the right thing" and what is "moderation"? It is 100% relative. In order to be a useful maxim, the relativity needs to be addressed. So, to address the OPs question:

"I've heard that beer will do lots of harm to your testosterone levels(which is pretty ironic) and destroy protein synthesis plus many negative effects on strength training.

Is this true? And what do you guys think about this? Best if avoided altogether?"

I can't tell you how negative the effects of beer consumption is on strength training. That depends on a lot of physiological variables. If drinking beer is bad for protein synthesis than theoretically, from a strength training perspective, it would be best if beer was avoided altogether. However, your individual perspective is not theoretical, it is unique and ambiguous. How important beer is to you (culturally, socially and personally), how important strength training is, how severe the effects beer drinking are, and how those effects can be mitigated are all factors you need to consider among others. Instituting the rule, "just use moderation" is a cop-out that chooses to neglect the relevant factors pertaining to the situation at hand. So, I don't have an answer for you but instead of listening to a useless maxim, think about it practically in terms of the factors involved instead.

You're not oversimplifying a little, you're oversimplifying to the extent of introducing detrimental notions that do not address specific problems. Sorry for the upcoming rant but it irks me whenever people propose "moderation" as a solution for anything. The maxim of moderation avoids thinking about issues in pragmatic and useful ways. As a guideline, the aphorism of "moderation in all things" is utterly useless - it is a subjective concept completely dependent upon context. Utilizing the moderation maxim as some sort of guidance is silly bs because it is theoretically flawed. It's a catch-all concept, like saying, "In every situation just do the right thing." Wow, very helpful, but what is "the right thing" and what is "moderation"? It is 100% relative. In order to be a useful maxim, the relativity needs to be addressed. So, to address the OPs question:
    So you think Ben Franklin was full of shit with his list of virtues?

"
    So, I don't have an answer for you but instead of listening to a useless maxim, think about it practically in terms of the factors involved instead.
    I guess you missed the part where I linked Alan's article, but okay.

And I wasn't suggesting that you seek moderation to the exclusion of thinking about the situation in terms of particulars, putting all the factors in the scale and weighing them, so to speak. But I suppose you think finding the right "balance," for instance, in something like strength training--balance between work and recovery, balance between too many sets and reps and not enough, balance between the left foot and the right one--I guess that's a useless endeavor according to your way of thinking, huh? Had it not occurred to you that being moderate could just = finding balance. Sheesh.
    Last edited by nisora33; 01-03-2010 at 10:28 AM.

"I've heard that beer will do lots of harm to your testosterone levels(which is pretty ironic) and destroy protein synthesis plus many negative effects on strength training.

Is this true? And what do you guys think about this? Best if avoided altogether?"

I can't tell you how negative the effects of beer consumption is on strength training. That depends on a lot of physiological variables. If drinking beer is bad for protein synthesis than theoretically, from a strength training perspective, it would be best if beer was avoided altogether. However, your individual perspective is not theoretical, it is unique and ambiguous. How important beer is to you (culturally, socially and personally), how important strength training is, how severe the effects beer drinking are, and how those effects can be mitigated are all factors you need to consider among others. Instituting the rule, "just use moderation" is a cop-out that chooses to neglect the relevant factors pertaining to the situation at hand. So, I don't have an answer for you but instead of listening to a useless maxim, think about it practically in terms of the factors involved instead.
    I agree with you, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree. No one advises people to be moderate in their committing of fraud and murder, and links posted above have given anecdotal evidence that it is at the very least not detrimental in small amounts. Secondly, some people may be willing to temper their strength gains with the enjoyment of other things in life. If I went to an isolated gym and did nothing but eat, sleep and train, I'm sure my recovery would be much better. I'm not willing to do that, and that's a choice I make.

Krump, I don't know who shit in your Cheerios and got you all worked up, but by my count only two posts prior to yours have even mentioned the word "moderation" -- one by nisora33 and one by me. Nisora33 posted several links, in addition to his comment, that help put moderation in context, and I spelled out what moderation means to me, i.e., I defined a subjective maxim, not a universal maxim. In other words, both of our posts quite clearly addressed the relativity of "moderation." (How in the fuck did a conversation about beer get turned into a Kantian lesson on ethics, anyways?)

Edit: Moderation defined: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bryEeecj0FE
    Last edited by Raskolnikov; 01-03-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Not drinking beer would have a real negative effect on my training!

I have heard some pretty convincing research about alcohol negatively effecting training. That being said, I have consumed alot of alcohol without a negative effect on my training. It has never caused me a missed rep, and I have made quite a bit of progress. Although I do wait until after my squat sets before cracking a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by kittenSmash View Post
    Although I do wait until after my squat sets before cracking a beer.
    nice example of moderation, kS

"It's" means "it is" while "its" means "belonging to it". Just throwing that out there.

starting strength coach development program
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast