starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squatting in Skate Shoes?

Default Squatting in Skate Shoes?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've squatted in chucks for my entire squatting career with a few dabs in going barefoot here and there. My issue with chucks and shoes like them (old school vans, keds, etc) is that they are too narrow for my feet and I always feel the sides of my feet are flowing over the sides of the shoes.

I found a pair of Etnies that I own that I forgot about and forgot how much I like skate shoes because of how wide they are. I noticed that their soles are pretty flat and hard with a bit of a heel. I was wondering if they would be good for squatting. Anyone have experiences with skate shoes for squatting??

my shoes look something like this

oops...forgive me for the ginormous picture.

Squatting in most skate shoes is fine.

Old skool vans are very similar to chucks.

And many modern skate shoes are now imitating retro sneakers anyway.

The type of shoe you posted a pic of, the late 90's early 2000's chunky skate shoe should also be fine is most cases as they still have a wide flat and fairly stiff sole.

Just be wary of some of the high-tech looking sort which have shock absorbing air bubbles/gel just like running shoes.

No. I used to skate back in the day.

Skateshoes (particularly DC and etnies) are almost worse than runners. They have a cushy heel, are flat and are designed so that your feet have a bit of movement in them (less restriction allows easier movement whilst kickflipping, ollieing etc).

edit: dastardly is right, but I'm pretty sure those etnies would have a gel pad in the heel. Pinch the heel and see if it contracts.
    Last edited by cannibal.horse; 01-21-2010 at 09:14 AM.

Vans Old Skools are great. The specific model, Old Skool. http://shop.vans.com/catalog/Vans/en...old-skool.html

They have thin, hard soles like Chucks but are a lot wider and have a better upper. My feet are 13 E and they fit great.

Some of the other classic Vans like Eras aren't as wide.

Weightlifting shoes with a bit of heel are still better.

Why not just get weightlifting shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    Why not just get weightlifting shoes?
    Because he already has the shoes?

Not everyone has the monies for weigthlifting shoes like most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post
    Because he already has the shoes?

Not everyone has the monies for weigthlifting shoes like most of us.
    dont they?

I stacked shelves for ages so I could afford a power rack.

Weightlifting is the only sport i know where people cheap out - you never hear people whinging about the price of cleets, or what a decent cricket bat sets them back, but weightlifting shoes and a book by rippetoe always seem to break the bank...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cannibal.horse View Post
    dont they?

I stacked shelves for ages so I could afford a power rack.

Weightlifting is the only sport i know where people cheap out - you never hear people whinging about the price of cleets, or what a decent cricket bat sets them back, but weightlifting shoes and a book by rippetoe always seem to break the bank...

I plan on getting shoes eventually...but I'm saving to pay for the entrance fee and federation card and singlets for me and my girlfriend for our first meet which is going to run me around 300 dollars. I work part time and am doing a non paying S&C internship so I am pretty broke. If I can find something comfortable to squat in without spending 80-120 bucks, I'm all for it. Plus, I'm a medium/wide stance squatter and I'm not sure how oly shoes work with a wide stance. By the way, weightlifting is the only thing I'm spending money on... I pay for memberships at two gyms and buy books whenever I can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast