starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to learn the lifts around Boston, MA

Default Where to learn the lifts around Boston, MA

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It looks like the coaches directory is still in the process of getting off the ground, so I figured this was the place to post this sort of question.

Can anybody recommend a location in the Boston area that does a good job of teaching the lifts, as outlined in "Starting Strength"?

Having experienced instruction is going to be essential. I've got mild developmental dysplasia in my hips and, as a result of that, I've got a bit of bow-leggedness and tibial rotation. Having access to a trainer who's taught a lot of lifters and has come across folks possessing the same sort of issues would likely be a big help in ensuring the right adjustments get made and that I can perform the lifts properly.

If possible, I'd like to avoid "Crossfit Boston" because: a) Two friends who initially learned lifts there later moved to other parts of the country and trained with people who attended one of Rip's seminars. They reported back to me that they had to "unlearn" form errors that they picked up during their time at "Crossfit Boston" b) I want to focus on learning and performing the lifts. I have a finite amout of time available and would prefer to focus on proper workouts with the lifts and related assistance exercises.

I do know that Rip is a CrossFit proponent, but I suspect I'll have more success simply working through a Novice program as outlined in "Practical Programming for Strength Training". I may not know lifting, but I know myself well enough to suspect that devising a stable routine of lifts and assistance exercises will (at this time) probably enable me to progress better than the "Workout of the Day" philosophy at CrossFit.

Please don't take that as a criticism of CrossFit and their philosophy; I know it has served many people very well. I'm simply trying to keep things simple for my own sake.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

You could try contacting Danny V at North Shore Crossfit (Beverly). I'm not sure if he is a low bar guy though since I know he's pretty into the Oly lifts. Great guy though, and if you tell him exactly what you want I'm sure he'll let you know if he's a good fit.

I wish there was some kind of list. I've been trying to find someone decent in Toronto for weeks now.

Default Coach

You could try Ben Bergeron at CrossFit New England - pretty sure he got his BarBell Cert with Rip. Good guy too.

Al -

Come to my garage in Roslindale, I got some bumper plates we can throw around.

Eric Cressey at Cressey Performance should be fine as well, though probably a bit expensive.

I'm moving to Boston in the first week of December. I'm still looking for a gym and clients. I'm listed on startingstrength.org (SSCA : Coaching). Feel free to PM or email me.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    You could try Ben Bergeron at CrossFit New England - pretty sure he got his BarBell Cert with Rip. Good guy too.
    This guy is training a large group of games athletes. I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt that he's available for one on one coaching for beginners.

Competitors Training

He's not listed with the other coaches for hourly consultations.

Our Rates | Crossfit New England

But there are others you can read about here:

Our Team | Crossfit New England

Several people on the boards have been looking for a SS coach in the greater Boston / Southern MA area for a while. . . .

Is Cambridge Strength the only viable option? It's waaaay up north, which is impossibly inconvenient. In the meantime, I'm still hunting around. Please let me know if anyone knows of anything better than what is currently on tap.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Noah, it's good to see a SSC taking advantage of the vacuum of coaches in New England.

There's also some gyms in RI where you could possibly set up shop, if you're willing to make the drive down. One right off the top of my head in an affluent area is Ocean State Fitness in East Greenwich, RI. I know the owners there.
    Anything in particular to recommend that place? Their website didn't reveal much (except "a wide variety of free weight equipment" and a picture of a prowler)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast