starting strength gym

Thread: When to Halt 10lbs Progression

Default When to Halt 10lbs Progression

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys, so I've been putting 10 pounds on the bar every workout for the last two weeks. I'm at 235lbs right now with a BW of 209. The weight this past week felt heavy, but I didn't miss any reps or fail utterly in terms of form. My question is, should I keep going for one more week/until I fail, or should I be conservative and start doing 5lbs increments for this next week? Thanks!

I'm assuming you're talking about squats. I don't think you should think about this on a weekly basis, but more of workout to workout basis. Your 10 jumps are probably going to stop soon.

for a while, i made a 10lb jump after the long weekend and a 5lb jump for the two workouts following. worked out pretty awesome, im pretty sure its not an exact science but you dont want to make too small of jumps and dont want too big of jumps. what i described worked out for me after a few weeks but only lasted for about 2 weeks before making only 5lb jumps. still going...

I might go ahead and switch to 5. Remember that even at 5 pound jumps, the weight will add up quick. In a month you'll be doing work sets of 295 with 5 pound jumps. No sense in risking an early stall.

No, you do not want to wait until you fail before you start taking lower jumps. What's the point of adding 5 more lbs to a weight that you have failed at?
    You start making smaller jumps when you sense that the next 1-2 workouts will become too heavy if you keep adding 10 lbs. This allows you to keep making progress and not get stuck. Worse case scenario, you had a bad week and then realize you could have continued going up 10 lbs. So just increase from 5 to 10 lbs again. If you do it the other way and continue adding 10 lbs and get stuck, then you have to deload and start lower.

There is something to be said about not getting greedy. You have to balance between making too slow of progress, and too fast and stalling early. Jumping 30 pounds in 3 workouts is obviously faster than doing it in 6 workouts, but will you actually complete the third workout?

When in doubt add the lower over the heavier weight. You can always add more weight to your next workout but if you add to much and fail or add to much and then have to deload sooner whats worse. You dont really lose by adding to little since you can always compensate.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenosparadox View Post
    When in doubt add the lower over the heavier weight. You can always add more weight to your next workout but if you add to much and fail or add to much and then have to deload sooner whats worse. You dont really lose by adding to little since you can always compensate.
    Well said