starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ez Pull ups

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    You're going to have to walk me through this one. With this logic, wouldn't reverse grip curls and pullups be just as effective for developing biceps strength as standard curls and chinups, respectively?
    ...No? How are you getting that from what I said?

The difference in degree of supination between a straight bar and an EZ curl bar is not exactly night and day. Doing a reverse grip curl or pullup completely changes the line of pull for the biceps (to a much, much shittier one, such that brachioradialis and brachialis become the main elbow flexors), so you are comparing apples to oranges here.

The test to validate this is quite simple, the elbow flexors become the weak link in both of the exercises you mentioned such that people are invariably stronger in standard curls and chins. Are you weaker using an EZ curl bar or those slightly angled pullup handles for chins? My guess: no. Feel free to test this for yourself.

I was simply taking your earlier statements to their logical extreme. I guess it was too extreme in this case, since, as you said, it's comparing apples to oranges. I fucked up. I take it back.

Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    Are you weaker using an EZ curl bar or those slightly angled pullup handles for chins? My guess: no. Feel free to test this for yourself.
    I'm still thinking that differences would exist, but that they'd be small. Probably only a couple of pounds difference, since with curls the biceps aren't capable of moving a hell of a lot of weight in the first place, and with chinups the biceps aren't the only muscles involved, nor are they the most important. So yeah, from a training perspective the issue is almost irrelevant since these are only assistance exercises. But I would think it is incorrect to state that there is literally no difference.

Of course, I haven't tested this, and I don't plan on doing curls any time soon (or ever). If someone else wants to test this I would be open to their results.

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    I was simply taking your earlier statements to their logical extreme. I guess it was too extreme in this case, since, as you said, it's comparing apples to oranges. I fucked up. I take it back.

I'm still thinking that differences would exist, but that they'd be small. Probably only a couple of pounds difference, since with curls the biceps aren't capable of moving a hell of a lot of weight in the first place, and with chinups the biceps aren't the only muscles involved, nor are they the most important. So yeah, from a training perspective the issue is almost irrelevant since these are only assistance exercises. But I would think it is incorrect to state that there is literally no difference.

Of course, I haven't tested this, and I don't plan on doing curls any time soon (or ever). If someone else wants to test this I would be open to their results.
    I'm not saying there's literally no difference, just that the difference is negligible enough to not worry about this.

Why is this relevant? A lot of people find EZ curl bars easier on the forearms when working up to heavy weights. Since there's little to no practical difference in its effects on your biceps, why use a straight bar, to prove some sort of macho point? It's just silly, is all. Same deal for the pullup bar.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    I'm not saying there's literally no difference, just that the difference is negligible enough to not worry about this.

Why is this relevant? A lot of people find EZ curl bars easier on the forearms when working up to heavy weights. Since there's little to no practical difference in its effects on your biceps, why use a straight bar, to prove some sort of macho point? It's just silly, is all. Same deal for the pullup bar.
    Okay. I agree.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123