starting strength gym
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane Hamman

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In the third part they started talking about some seriously strong weightlifters who did not have great technique, but were so strong that they compensated for their relatively poor technique. I tried to look them up but since their names were Bulgarian or Russian, or some eastern european block country I could not spell/find them. Could you please post their names so I could look up some more information on them.

Thanks

Rip,

Thanks for going to the trouble and expense of putting this interview together. It was informative and entertaining. Thanks to Shane too for driving down to be interviewed.

He has got to be one of the widest and thickest men on the planet.

Just watched it to the end. Was a cool interview, but I think everyone was waiting to hear if Shane can dunk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOA5RbAQWA8

Here's Rezazadeh (one of the guys referenced). This is the C&J that was referenced. I never noticed how short his arms were until this interview. Interesting. Maybe my short arms which is a bit of a disadvantage on DLs will serve me well in the O-lifts.

Outstanding interview Rip! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyfirth View Post
    Love the video, but I just have one request for the person editing these vids: Please make the audio of the person speaking come out of the same speaker as the side of the screen they're on. In this case, Rip is on the right-hand side, but his audio comes out the left side and vice versa. It's probably not distracting to anyone else, but because I'm a video editor, it was pretty distracting to me. A safer bet is to just pan them up the middle in post. Or you can slightly put the person speaking on the right (in this case, Rip) in the right speaker, and slightly pan Shane onto the left side, but having them pushed all the way over, and having it reversed, was pretty distracting. One other note, pulling them about two more feet away from the background helps make the picture feel not so "flat". Another trick you can use, is to put a light ND filter over your camera (something like a 3 or a 6) and iris way open. That will throw the background out of focus, to bring attention to the forefront.
    The editor told me to tell you thanks. We'll correct these technical problems and a couple of others soon and have the fixed versions up next week.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertFontaine View Post
    Shane is clearly an amazing guy and it was an interesting first interview. This is intended to be constructive criticism... I think Mark dominated the interview. I would really like to have heard Shane's opinions from Shane. I felt that Mark asked and answered his own questions a few too many times.
    These interviews are designed to be more like conversations between two lifters/athletes/coaches than the typical interview you see between an athlete and a dumbass sportscaster that has nothing to contribute to the conversation. This way, more information per unit of time results. Had I not asked Shane in detail about his experiences from an informed position, which required that I explain my position at some length and which you interpret as dominating the interview, you would know less about Shane than you do now. I suppose I could have just asked Shane how he felt about being at the Olympics, and how his family felt about him being at the Olympics, and how he felt about not winning, and how he felt about being strong, and how it felt to be so big. But that's not the way I do an interview. I hope it was useful anyway.

I don't agree with Roberts opinion at all. The interview flowed very smoothly and Rips personality brought out some conclusions from Shane that I doubt he would have just came out and said.
    For Example:
    Typical Broadcaster: How old where you when you knew you were strong enough to have a shot at making the olympic team?
    Shane: You know we just dont train the Deadlift enough at the compound to make ourselves stronger.

....see what I'm saying? It would have never came up.

On the flip side I can say that Charles Staley has a habit of talking over/more than his guests on his radio show. I just got done listening to Wendlers interview and I had to turn it off after 15 minutes because Charles just kept talking about his own opinions instead of just letting his guest speak.

Great interview. Really enjoyed it. Looking forward to future installments.

Anyone else notice that Shane's posture seemed really good. Guess it's because mine sucks or at least seems so. In particular he didn't seem to have much tightness in his IT bands, hips or legs in general.

Default Great interview

I really enjoyed the interview. Shane taught at a Crossfit O-lift seminar I went to last summer and at the time I barely had a concept of who he was. He's much more imposing in person. You'd hardly believe he would be flexible enough to really do the lifts, but he sure can! Good teacher too.

I looked up the Rezazadah front-squat video mentioned in the interview, dead lord...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkSN3...eature=related

starting strength coach development program
    A. Rumor has it that Shane Hamman also has mad snowboarding skills...picture that.

B. I strenuously disagree with the assesment of Charles' Iron Radio interview with Wendler. I actually listened to the whole thing and found his clarifying of the program helpful.

But what do I know...we actually watch Curling on t.v. up here.
    jp

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast