starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Training Partner(s)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good training partner(s) are crucial to success, in my opinion. I have trained with a team, with partners, and solo, and in general the more people I have concerned about my performance, the better I do. Plus, as a powerlifter, the spotters are a necessity. I have worked out fine on my own, but it feels more rewarding and productive to have some support there.

I'm a month away from turning 45. I'm 5' 6" at 185 lbs. I used to train at the YMCA but now I train alone at home. My current numbers as of this week:
    Squat 3x5 @ 305 LBS
    DL 1x5 @ 360 LBS
    Bench 3x5 @ 207.5 LBS (A spotter would be nice to get me over my fear of a crushed windpipe and force me to progress at a faster pace)
    Press 3x5 @ 132.5 LBS
    Cleans 5x3 @ 135 LBS (A knowledgeable partner's feedback would be nice as I've had to reset several times because my cleans start to become a weird jumping power reverse curl)

Its damn near impossible to find a good training partner. At the gym, opinions are like assholes...Everyone's got one. My friends and family think I'm goofy for spending so much time in the basement lifting weights and have no interest in joining me. Despite all my cajoling, my wife has no interest in weight training. Unfortunately, she believes all the B.S. about women getting big and bulky from lifting weights. She's an avid runner who can't run due to numerous foot problems, hmmm. So while it would be good to have a reliable training partner, its probably not going to happen any time soon. Until then, I will rely on my trusty log book for motivation and feedback. Now, if I could only learn how to set up the video camera and record my squats without taping my squats over one of my kids' recitals...

Haven't had a true training partner in about 4 years, key is to be mentally tough enough to push yourself through the workouts as hard as anybody else could. Take videos and endlessly analyze your own technique and flaws. Nobody said it was going to be easy.

Info: I'm 5'10 212 lbs
    Squat - 565
    Bench - 375
    Dead - 705

How old are you, NolanPower?

Thanks for the responses, really. You all make some really good points and suggestions. I guess I'm needing an e-hug so this thread is motivating. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by fnet View Post
    Bench 3x5 @ 207.5 LBS (A spotter would be nice to get me over my fear of a crushed windpipe and force me to progress at a faster pace)

When I work out alone near a failure weight, I just pull a bench into the power rack.

edit: If you're working out at home, you could setup the camera to give you a live feed onto a TV. You could critique your own form while you lift!
    Last edited by jayknow05; 03-10-2010 at 11:01 AM.

I'm 23

As my name states I lift alone, like the way George Thorogood drinks.

I lift alone because out of my friends that do workout, they are following some kind of bodybuilding/random bench press type of workout with lots of arm work. Now that I have gotten accustomed to training alone I just prefer it. It alows me to get into a good mental state before my lifts. I actually go out of my way to avoid talking to anyone at the gym for this very reason. Looking forward to the day I have my own garage gym.
    Last edited by ILiftAlone; 03-10-2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Holy crap, Nolan, those are huge numbers!

starting strength coach development program
    No doubt it takes serious discipline to work hard on your own. Big props if you posting numbers solo.

Guess I've just been lucky. Working in the Department of Physical Education helps...

Sometimes I've had to resort to having my wife help me, but whatever works, I guess.

D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast