starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genetically gifted in one area, not in others?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Also, I want to point out that your squat numbers don't necessarily indicate genetic giftedness, but your BP numbers probably do indicate either form faults or genetic malformation (i.e. long arms). You also don't give us your height and weight - if you're 120 pounds, I take back what I said about your squat not indicating genetic giftedness.

Oh darn....this thread wasn't what I thought it would be about at all

You think this title's bad, just imagine how disappointed I was by http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=15514

Quote Originally Posted by bugbomb View Post
    Also, I want to point out that your squat numbers don't necessarily indicate genetic giftedness, but your BP numbers probably do indicate either form faults or genetic malformation (i.e. long arms). You also don't give us your height and weight - if you're 120 pounds, I take back what I said about your squat not indicating genetic giftedness.
    Wouldn't they indicate how genetically gifted you are at squatting?

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Wouldn't they indicate how genetically gifted you are at squatting?
    I guess if you consider being better at one thing than another "genetically gifted", sure. I would not necessarily look at someone squatting 305 for reps and think "wow, this guy is genetically gifted." comparing yourself to yourself is not the way to tell if you're gifted. The guy squatting 500 for reps early in his progression is the freak.

Quote Originally Posted by bugbomb View Post
    I guess if you consider being better at one thing than another "genetically gifted", sure. I would not necessarily look at someone squatting 305 for reps and think "wow, this guy is genetically gifted." comparing yourself to yourself is not the way to tell if you're gifted. The guy squatting 500 for reps early in his progression is the freak.
    what?

starting strength coach development program
    I'll repeat myself. Being better at one thing than another doesn't mean you're "gifted" at either. It's not a big deal - just keep squatting and keep pressing. There are a bunch of us who are pretty good at one and not so good at the other.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12