starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Physical job and Strenth training!

Default Physical job and Strenth training!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys, as said above. I find it very hard to squat 3 times a week due to physical job, lifting heavy box 8 hours a day and 5 days straight also strength training in between. My job is casual, i was thinking to take a couple of days off to recover but i really cant afford to do that since got a house to pay off ;(. Im always tired and lack of recovery. Sound like its overtraining. Im squating 110kg atm and struggling to up the weight. I been on GOMAD and eating like hell.
    If i train in the morning before work, i will have no energy left to perform my work duty. I train after work and already exhausted. i go home rest for 1hour or 2 then hit the gym, but useless.
    The program its getting heavy now.
    So do guys have any physical job like me but still progress well. Any tip will be appreciated.

Thank you for reading
    Tam

Some will tell you to man up, but if you have honestly had a crack at trying to eat a large amount and ensure you are getting an adequate amount of sleep then perhaps a 2day/week routine may help you.

I'll probably get shouted down for this, but I hear you. I am a builder and there are plenty of days when there is no fucking way I am going to get under the bar for as long as a SS workout requires.

This is one of the reasons I like weightlifting. 15-20 snatches is about a thousand times less physically draining than 20 heavy backsquats but it's a good workout, will keep you flexible, and you'll probably feel better when you leave the gym than when you arrived. This is also a good argument for more Crossfit-ish type programs.

That said, if you were twice as strong, lifting all those boxes all days would be half as much work, right?

If your work is that physically taxing, train twice a week. Sunday and Wednesday for example. Alternate between two workouts. That way you're well rested for Sunday's workout and then you just have to man up for one workout during the week, knowing you have 3 days off afterward. Depending on what you're lifting at your job, you could turn it into a workout itself, see how many of those boxes you can carry at once, or how many you can move in an hour, for example.

What's GOMAD?

GOMAD=Gallon Of Milk A Day.

Brian

As the guys mentioned just eat a lot. Pies and sausage rolls work well, so do fried sausages and takeaway pizzas.

Im a nightpacker (I do the drinks which are shit heavy). Me and basically every drink guy before me drink Mother in our breaks, would recommend.

Could you make sure at least one of your workouts is right before a day off? Friday after work and Sunday AM might help you keep to one uncomfortable day sometime midweek.

I guess I should be thankful I sit at a desk most of the day and eat food.

Quote Originally Posted by cannibal.horse View Post
    As the guys mentioned just eat a lot. Pies and sausage rolls work well, so do fried sausages and takeaway pizzas.

Im a nightpacker (I do the drinks which are shit heavy). Me and basically every drink guy before me drink Mother in our breaks, would recommend.
    No.
    Pies and sausage rolls are shit. There is crap all protein in them, compared to the amount of shitty trans fats and unnecessary carbs.

Try and avoid getting hooked on energy drinks as well, that shit is bad y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by TomV View Post
    No.
    Pies and sausage rolls are shit. There is crap all protein in them, compared to the amount of shitty trans fats and unnecessary carbs.

Try and avoid getting hooked on energy drinks as well, that shit is bad y'all.
    His energy expenditure would be huge. To make that energy expenditure in red meat and clean carbs would be ridiculously expensive, if not impossible.

Have you ever hung out with builders? they pretty much live on junk food, energy drinks and alcohol. Until they get old it never shows, because they work it off.

Check out how dave tate and jim wendler eat - these guys lift heavy yeah, but they dont install insulation on a 40 degree day.

starting strength coach development program
    On the subject of needing crap food just to get a boatload of calories. Why not pack 4 sprouted wheat bread sandwiches full of almond butter and eat them as snacks with a big glass of milk during the day? That would add probably 3000+ calories and I don't think it's unhealthy. That's just one example.

Last edited by Brad Davis; 03-18-2010 at 08:16 AM. Reason: No reason to P people off...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast