starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tommy Suggs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Very interesting interview. I am really looking forward to another one with Tommy Suggs sometime in the future.

Thank you very much for this material Mr. Rippetoe!

This was a vastly better interview than Shane Hamman. I don't know whether it's because Tommy is just more talkative than Shane or because you responded to the criticism that you talked too much in the last one. Either way this was really good.

You've out done yourself with this one, Ripp. Absolutely fascinating interview.

Quote Originally Posted by George Noble View Post
    This was a vastly better interview than Shane Hamman. I don't know whether it's because Tommy is just more talkative than Shane or because you responded to the criticism that you talked too much in the last one.
    It was both. Tommy will not shut up, and I learned so much about interviewing from the insightful comments on this board.

Ripp,

When you said that U.S. Olympic lifters don't train the deadlift my jaw hit the floor. That seems so counter intuitive that it's hard to believe. What explanation do U.S. Olympic coaches give for our pathetic performance for the past 30 years or so? Aren't they capable of looking at the historic record and investigating how lifters in the 50's and 60's (when we were winning or at least placing in the top 5) trained? How can they continue to use training methods that give such poor results? Someone once say that the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Are our coaches nuts or just too arrogant to admit that their training methods need to change?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It was both. Tommy will not shut up, and I learned so much about interviewing from the insightful comments on this board.
    You know, you should really be paying us for all the information we impart to you.

But it's OK

Ryan Long Guest

Awesome interview! Can't wait to see who else you interview. It's one thing to read about the history of weightlifting in the US, its another to feel like you're experiencing it as Tommy tells his stories. I'd love to hear more from him.

Supe will be glad to talk more. We may schedule a follow-up with him later. As for the explanation given for why the OTC program doesn't use the deadlift, it is because the resident coaches they hire don't use them. The analysis seems to be that deadlifts are slow, so deadlifts will carryover to a slow clean. Thus forgetting that deadlifts are slow because they are limit pulls and that lighter weights CAN be pulled faster if the lifter is strong enough to do so, and that he gets that way from getting stronger by pulling heavy. By the way, Kyle Pierce in Shreveport does not believe this, and you may note that Kendrick Farris is his lifter.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    Well fucking done Rip. This was the best one yet.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by George Noble View Post
    This was a vastly better interview than Shane Hamman. I don't know whether it's because Tommy is just more talkative than Shane or because you responded to the criticism that you talked too much in the last one. Either way this was really good.
    +1

Rip, thank you very much for this. Fantastic job! Keep up the great work and don't let all the old knowledge disappear.

You should make these interviews (and this one in particular) available on DVD for $5 or $10 a pop. I'd buy this one without a second thought.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MAKtheKnife View Post
    You should make these interviews (and this one in particular) available on DVD for $5 or $10 a pop. I'd buy this one without a second thought.
    Or they'd make a nice addition to the training DVD.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast