starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training Partner(s)

Default Training Partner(s)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m wondering who out there has training partners, who doesn’t, what are your PR’s, thoughts on training with others, etc. I’m hoping this will spark some interesting discussion. It’s my guess that those training with others will probably have higher numbers all else equal.

I currently don’t have a training partner. In an honest appraisal of myself, I look like I can lift a lot more than I really do (or can?). I’m thinking I lack the motivation (cues, competition, feedback, etc.) that would come from lifting with a partner or group.

I'm 26, 220lbs and...
    squat 260x5x3 (adding only 5lbs each workout)
    deadlift 285x5x1 (adding 10lbs)
    press 125x5x3 (adding 5lbs)
    bench 190x5x3 (adding 5lbs)

After a year off, I've been lifting for about a month.

I believe having a motivational training partner is essential to continued progression. Having someone who is equal strength or a tad bit stronger really helps me push through plateaus and keeps workout intensity maximized.

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    I believe having a motivational training partner is essential to continued progression. Having someone who is equal strength or a tad bit stronger really helps me push through plateaus and keeps workout intensity maximized.
    I agree. I used to train with a few of my friends years ago and now I don't. It was better before.

I've had the same workout partner off and on, depending on school schedules and it definitely is better to have someone to talk to and motivate you, but at the end of the day, it's you that has to lift the weight. I train by myself on Wednesday and Friday, but motivation has never been a problem for me. It helps to have someone on Monday, because it's the beginning of the week, which pretty much sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by jameson View Post
    I’m wondering who out there has training partners, who doesn’t, what are your PR’s, thoughts on training with others, etc. I’m hoping this will spark some interesting discussion. It’s my guess that those training with others will probably have higher numbers all else equal.

I currently don’t have a training partner. In an honest appraisal of myself, I look like I can lift a lot more than I really do (or can?). I’m thinking I lack the motivation (cues, competition, feedback, etc.) that would come from lifting with a partner or group.

I'm 26, 220lbs and...
    squat 260x5x3 (adding only 5lbs each workout)
    deadlift 285x5x1 (adding 10lbs)
    press 125x5x3 (adding 5lbs)
    bench 190x5x3 (adding 5lbs)

After a year off, I've been lifting for about a month.
    I'm 23, 201lbs and...
    squat 270x5x3 (adding only 5lbs each workout)
    deadlift 295x5x1 (adding 10lbs)
    press 135x5x3 (adding 5lbs)
    bench 210x5x3 (adding 5lbs)

About 20 weeks total, 14 weeks first run through, 7 weeks or so this time around.

Training partners are invaluable to me for a number of reasons. Most importantly they help you get your ass in the gym. Saturday I was hungover and possibly still drunk, my gym buddy said "fuck you pussy come to the gym". Secondly there is an old addage when one teaches two learn. I find it helpful for myself when I am teaching somebody or critiqueing their form. You also always have a spotter around.

i love working out with my gym buddies (no homo). if for nothing else than to joke around between sets so you arent dreading the next set of squats for the 6+ minutes of rest. we are always clowning around. today its "dress like the tools at the gym" day. we are gonna bust out the hair gel, camoflauge pants, sleeveless hoodies, and bandannas. im so excited

In an honest appraisal of myself, I look like I can lift a lot more than I really do (or can?).
    I'm in the same boat. I'm 5'11, 240lbs, and I can only squat 3x5@345lbs.

I think the key here is this: training partners is good for motivation (I guess) and it makes training a more fun thing to do because it's social. It's also good to have a spotter. The real benefit, though, would come from having a good coach.

We'd both be moving more weight with an experienced, skilled coach by our side.

Bit of a loner, so that's how I usually train, but mostly because (not to pat myself on the back here, but...) I don't know too many people who will push themselves with a squat or deadlift. There's one strong-ass dude I meet up with on saturdays to just fuck around/demolish ourselves, and I go above and beyond what I'd do by myself.

I'm 25, 5'11" and 240. I have trained alone for years now just due to scheduling, and intensity. My #'s as of the 1st of the year before a car accident were:

Squat - 3X5@408
    Deads - 1X5@430
    Bench - 3X5@270 (easy 305 recently)
    Press - 3X5@185 (easy 211 today)
    Powerclean - 5X3@203 (really ugly 250 1rm, form sucks)

I used to have a really good lifting partner, and was benching 365 (torn labrum put an end to that) but we were fags and didn't train lower body. I train a few others at my home gym, but not at the same time I train usually. I have made my greatest gains by myself. Just find what will motivate you to get the shit done. I blast classic rock, or metal and slap myself in the face for heavy sets.
    Make fun of that shit all you want, but when you are alone in a garage, and are gettng under 4 wheels for reps, you do what it takes to not get crushed.

starting strength coach development program
    I train alone in my garage. I'd like to have a partner to train with, but the fact is that the scheduling is too tough. If I come home late from work, or get going late on Sunday (lift days are Sun/Tues/Thurs for me), I would be leaving someone in the lurch. And, actually, just being up there alone keeps me very, very focused on form when I do my sets.

Like kS, I train others at my garage, but not at the same time I lift.

Below are the numbers from my last two Sundays (TM volume day). I do Texas Method because I find the recovery cycle better for me, given my age and other variables.

Weight: 225-230
    BS: 320x5x5
    Bench: 260x5x5
    DL: 380x3 (grip is my limiting factor; working on it)
    Press: 165x5x5
    Power Snatch: 150x2x5 (sucks, I know - working on it).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast