starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tommy Suggs

Default Tommy Suggs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Sup talks about weightlifting, Hoffman, York Barbell, Strength & Health and lots of the characters lifting "back in the day".

Tommy Suggs
    Last edited by stef; 07-11-2012 at 09:16 PM.

I believe this is the article mentioned in part 4.

The tragic history of the military press in olympic and world championship competition 1928-1972.

By, John Fair
    Last edited by stef; 11-07-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: fixed link

Awesome, I can listen to this stuff all day, back when strength and muscle meant something and Coaches took serious lifters under their wing and there was no animosity.

I have people coming to my gym with arrogance saying they know what crossfit and gym jones is, or, i don't wanna train with high school athletes.

Pisses me off because they come not to learn, they come to talk of the bull shit they do, when in reality, my high school athletes would kill these guys.

Coach Hoffman, Bill March - look at these guys, they lifted and walked the talk.

They got rid of the talkers and arrogant people, and I plan to continue to do the same

This is awesome Rip, I think this is my Fav video series thus far

Thank YOU, Brother.

--Z--

excellent stuff, it was good to hear from one of the legends of york. i really appreciate this interview.

The tragic history of the military press in olympic and world championship competition 1928-1972.

By, John Fair
    Thanks for the link. I was not previously familiar with this journal - I'll have to see if one of the college libraries around here carries it.

This is a real treat, and much appreciated.

In the future, as it builds, this series will be an excellent archive of historical information about the origins and history of strength training, strength sports and strength in sports.

I'm sure I speak for many when I say that there is a lot of interest on lifters who had their lifting primes in the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's.

We often forget that a lot of the questions of improved training efficiency, what works and what doesn't, are questions that have already been considered, explored and advanced apon.

I feel like that this is one more piece in the push back against a lack of emphasis in strength in modern exercise.

Interesting interview, many thanks for putting it up.

How old is Tommy Suggs, out of interest? If my mental arithmetic is right, he's looking pretty damn good for his age. Maybe we can get Cosmo to do an article on weight-training as the new youth serum.

You're doing the lord's work.

Well fucking done Rip. This was the best one yet.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by xzcion View Post
    http://www.la84foundation.org/Sports...3/JSH2803d.pdf

I believe this is the article mentioned in part 4.

By, John Fair
    I've read that, it is very interesting. The pressing poundages were very impressive at the time, but it isn't the same movement we are familiar with today (the one from SS). If you get a chance to read that article, you'll see every little wily trick that was used to give the lifter an advantage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast