starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lifting - intensity?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Damonwells: I am guessing you haven't been on here long enough to understand the program or it's purpose... either that or you misread my post. I stated that my inclusion of the chins were not HINDERING my recovery (nothing about "not affecting growth"). I added the chins in for a specific fucking purpose. The decision was made based on more senior members' recommendations and observations. prior to starting the program, i'd been training pullups and deadlifts (although at a lighter weight) extensively (5x5 of each in the same workout). my legs and lower back were taking longer to catch up in the deadlifts/squats/cleans, so my upper body wasn't getting much of a workout from single set deadlifts (this was somewhat early on).

Fair enough friend, but don't make assumptions. Also, how can you be so aggressive on a keyboard? Are you typing really hard or something?

Adding chins in lieu of another few sets of deadlifts is your call. CHINS! CHINS! Got it... We've over done the CHINS! topic, but my point is made.

I believe your original post has been answered sufficiently by others...

Yes, I've squatted over 800lbs. No indicator of my intelligence, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by tweakxc03 View Post
    right now i'm going up 5 pounds a workout for bench.

all i'm getting at is something totally unrelated (chins) to this post has been blown way out of proportion. yes, i guess i do start a lot of threads... but that is because i have a lot of questions. some are stupid questions, some are probably good ones.... but i can't learn without asking them.

oh, and i'm probably a little OCD... i tend to hyperfocus when i am learning something new.

bottom line:
    1. the chins have helped.
    2. i am stronger. recovery isn't hurting.
    3. i'm an impatient asshole that wants to get larger and stronger faster.
    As a rank novice, these are the fastest and greatest gains you will ever see.

Quote Originally Posted by damonwells View Post
    Damonwells: I am guessing you haven't been on here long enough to understand the program or it's purpose... either that or you misread my post. I stated that my inclusion of the chins were not HINDERING my recovery (nothing about "not affecting growth"). I added the chins in for a specific fucking purpose. The decision was made based on more senior members' recommendations and observations. prior to starting the program, i'd been training pullups and deadlifts (although at a lighter weight) extensively (5x5 of each in the same workout). my legs and lower back were taking longer to catch up in the deadlifts/squats/cleans, so my upper body wasn't getting much of a workout from single set deadlifts (this was somewhat early on).

Fair enough friend, but don't make assumptions. Also, how can you be so aggressive on a keyboard? Are you typing really hard or something?

Adding chins in lieu of another few sets of deadlifts is your call. CHINS! CHINS! Got it... We've over done the CHINS! topic, but my point is made.

I believe your original post has been answered sufficiently by others...

sorry for the aggression, not intending to question your intelligence at all here. i'm a little high strung at work these days (hence the "tweak" screenname).

the novice program does stress the importance of not overtraining deadlifts by adding more sets at the start... reason being the added strain it puts on typically deconditioned mucles (i.e., lower back, which mine were), so the alternative was an assistance exercize.

anyway, that's enough for this thread, i believe.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by damonwells View Post
    My point is that many members here feel that experience counts for little and that each and every recommendation must be backed by labcoat studies. People don't stumble across a 3.5x bodyweight squat. One must train for it. I'm just getting tired of people forgetting that, at sometime or another, you still have to lift the weight. And lifting that weight enough times allows for understanding - an understanding that books just can't teach, and number of posts don't reflect. I know studies are useful, sample sizes are needed, etc, but we all know that little research has been done on strength training. The best we really have is the advice of those that have spent years under the bar.

To be honest, this has little to do with this thread and the posts made. I'm not pointing fingers; the thread just got me thinking. It's just my rant and this is where I chose to have it.
    Last edited by jameson; 03-19-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jameson View Post
    My point is that many members here feel that experience counts for little and that each and every recommendation must be backed by labcoat studies. People don't stumble across a 3.5x bodyweight squat. One must train for it. I'm just getting tired of people forgetting that, at sometime or another, you still have to lift the weight. And lifting that weight enough times allows for understanding - an understanding that books just can't teach, and number of posts don't reflect. I know studies are useful, sample sizes are needed, etc, but we all know that little research has been done on strength training. The best we really have is the advice of those that have spent years under the bar.

To be honest, this has little to do with this thread and the posts made. I'm not pointing fingers; the thread just got me thinking. It's just my rant and this is where I chose to have it.
    well said.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tweakxc03 View Post
    i'm an impatient asshole that wants to get larger and stronger faster.
    Your heart and mind are in the right place.. and you've definitely come to the best place to get your questions answered. However, the quote above will be a death sentence when it comes to long term progress. Think slow and steady!! Good luck...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123