starting strength gym
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Strength dudes - your help is needed!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneRooney View Post
    Well, after six workouts missed with flu
    That's a hell of a flu

Some of these questions are fairly indicative of someone who is not actually on the program. It doesn't take more than a couple of weeks of starting strength to realize you don't need more exercise, and even if you wanted to you couldn't. There's no room even for pullups or arm work no matter how you flip it around.

I can't imagine how a novice is going to have a more productive program for putting on muscle and strength than SS or 5x5. If someone can beat it I'd love to hear the magic.

When SS runs out because you are overtraining in a year (for me about 18 months) then you can pick a less productive program that has some arm curls in it. I picked DC and for the last 10 months it's been a both fun and productive. Starr's 5x5 probably would have been more productive but probably a bit less fun.

Rob, by DC do you mean DoggCrapp? I am doing the SS program from the second edition of Starting Strength.

Tiburon, yes it was an absolute fucker but the second week off was due to an enormous backlog of work and the fact I have just moved house so still lots to do there too.

Charles, I wondered whether I should do a few extra sets of curls, chins and so on because I enjoy them. I enjoy the stress relief of working out and I want to stay in the gym a bit longer. There is no much bullshit out there about sets and reps that it's baffled my brain. Every person in the gym has a different opinion and quite a few people have told me that I'm wasting my time with SS if I want to develop as a bodybuilder.

My original plan was to do this for a couple of years and then move into a different program.

My original plan was to do this for a couple of years and then move into a different program.
    You don't move onto another program until the end of your novice stage.

Ryan Long Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    You don't move onto another program until the end of your novice stage.
    +1

Rob, by DC do you mean DoggCrapp? I am doing the SS program from the second edition of Starting Strength.

Tiburon, yes it was an absolute fucker but the second week off was due to an enormous backlog of work and the fact I have just moved house so still lots to do there too.

Charles, I wondered whether I should do a few extra sets of curls, chins and so on because I enjoy them. I enjoy the stress relief of working out and I want to stay in the gym a bit longer. There is no much bullshit out there about sets and reps that it's baffled my brain. Every person in the gym has a different opinion and quite a few people have told me that I'm wasting my time with SS if I want to develop as a bodybuilder.

Mate, linear progression is the best way to get big, I used to do gym work before I found rippetoe and I looked like shit compared to how I do now, I would follow the 4 day split routines and gain so slow compared to SS, U dont need to worry about any of the 'bodybuilder' routines till at least you have exhausted SS and intermediate routines... by then (depending on your genetics) you should have a great base to bring out all the smaller muscles through isolation work, this is what I'm going to do...

I'm doing SS after coming off of a cut that went wrong to regain my stength before I move into texas method... Whatever program I do, I do bicep dumbbell curls and tricep extensions last thing on a friday, I also work abs twice a week on a roman chair, and I manage to fit dips in on a wed

Using commonsense and logic, I thought that this would be the best program to get big and strong. The problem is that everyone in the gym is trying to knock me off track with "isolation" work.

I'm going to continue with SS, buy Practical Programming and read up, and then have a look at this Texas method when I reach the end of my linear progression. If heavy compund exercises are good enough for Ronnie Coleman then they're good enough for me.

I weigh 12 stone at the moment and my deadlift is only 110kg. I guess there's not point in me curling pathetic weights like an aerobics instructor until I can lift some decent poundages.

Apologies for the ridiculous questions but I'm sure you'll agree that there is a good deal of misinformation out there on t'internet...

Everyone's a critic/ personal trainer when they're in the weight room for some reason. Do what you want, not what someone else wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    Everyone's a critic/ personal trainer when they're in the weight room for some reason. Do what you want, not what someone else wants.
    Of course. However, people often want something that what they want to do won't provide. Thus, the suggestions.

starting strength coach development program
    Is it your goal to be a bb'er?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast