starting strength gym

Thread: My belt came the other day

Default My belt came the other day

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I got a nice suade one 4 inches wide like Rip recommends, I find it to be most uncomfortable however, it seems to be digging into my legs at the bottom of the squat, It has given me a tendonitis type pain in my leg shooting down towards my knee. Anyone ever suffered in this terrible way?

If it's digging into your legs, you either have a very short torso (not particularly likely), or you're wearing the belt way too low (much more likely). Make sure the belt is nice and broken in. It takes a couple of days and 1-3 training sessions. You'll get a feel for how to use it properly pretty quickly. I had some crazy deep purple bruising the first time I used mine, much smaller bruising the second time, and none since.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslin View Post
    I got a nice suade one 4 inches wide like Rip recommends, I find it to be most uncomfortable however, it seems to be digging into my legs at the bottom of the squat, It has given me a tendonitis type pain in my leg shooting down towards my knee. Anyone ever suffered in this terrible way?
    Did you get the 10 or 13mm belt, and where exactly are you wearing it? For squats, I find it most comfortable if my belly button is exactly in the middle of the belt. For deadlifts, it is usually an inch or two higher. I've never had an issue with it digging into my legs.

The tendonitis pain is unusual. Never heard of that.

What is your height/weight?

New belts can be hard to break in, depending on the thickness and brand, but I've never heard of knee pain from a belt.

Thanks for replies, I'm thinking the belt is somehow aggrivating an old injury i've had for months but i forgot about.

I wear my belt high enough I think , my belly button is at the bottom of the belt.

I'm 6'1, 220lbs, normal build. Belt is 10mil thick.