starting strength gym

Thread: Low Powercleans

Default Low Powercleans

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Basically, should I make 10lb jumps, as opposed to 5lb jumps, on the power clean for a bit.

Some detail: power clean was always light when I was learning, because I was a bit afraid of the technicalities. Now, they're pretty easy. Rip says the powerclean should be somewhere near the bench, but mine's 5lbs above my press. Worth taking some big jumps to catch up, or will that just stall some progress?

Current lifts:

Squat 5lb jumps
    220x5x3

Bench 5lb jumps
    145x5x3

Deadlift 10lb jumps
    245x5

Press 5lb jumps
    100x5x3

PowerCleans 5lb jumps?
    105x3x5

I think I'm somewhere around 170lbs. Yes I'm working on that.

I think 5 pound jumps are fine for power cleans, you won't last long doing 10 pound jumps. Your lifts will even out as you move up the strength curve, there's no reason to be in a hurry. You can always try 10 pound jumps though, and just drop to 5 when you stall, if you wanted to.

Do you "feel it" in your arms right after you power clean? Maybe you should post a video for Charles Staley.

Were you making gains on your other lifts when you were staying light on the power clean to learn the movement? Sure it can be the case that bench and clean numbers are supposed to be close together, but if you only train one, the other won't magically match it.

If your form is right, I don't think this is a big deal. I'm sure you'll figure it out or get there. Maybe people who actually know what they are talking about might have some info of substance for you.

Don't be quick to rush your power cleans with more weight in 10 lb jumps especially if you have just learned them. I would recommend keeping to 5 lb increments and continue to stay focused on your technique and bar speed. Jumping to fast to quickly; and your technique will more than likely start to get sloppy. Go slower with olympic lifts and in the long run your weights will go up better and with better technique.

Jerry Shreck
    www.varietytrainer.com
    www.bestfitnessproductreview.com

Okay, thanks all. I was just being impatient and looking for someone to tell me not to be. 5lb increments it is then.

starting strength coach development program
    Making a couple 10# jumps wouldn't send you to hell. just don't be stupid. Or you could always clean twice for each time you deadlift. That'll catch you up fast.