starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I use a clean diet when starting SS?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    There's a difference between a diet that consists of only (or mostly) things Paleo man or woman would have eaten, and the Paleo Diet, which has you weighing a measuring everything.

-S.
    You should check out Robb Wolf's comments/blogs etc. He's very much against weighing/measuring. He's also in favour of GOMAD/milk for gaining serious size and strength. He's also an advocate of getting damn stronger before trying all the crossfit crap (if that's your thing).

Quote Originally Posted by bowdirk View Post
    Cavemen ate weeds until they could find something to kill and eat. Then they ate more weeds until the could kill something else. Humans evolved for a hella long time on this diet, grains are a 'new' food for us on an evolutionary scale and aren't needed.

-Bowdirk
    Yes, they aren't "essential" to survival. Paleo man wasn't trying to be an elite athlete or even a reasonably accomplished strength trainee either--and most of us here ARE or SHOULD BE trying to push the limits of our abilities regularly, so saying that we should avoid grains based on observations about a group of people whose goals/stressors were different from ours is a fallacy IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    Yes, they aren't "essential" to survival. Paleo man wasn't trying to be an elite athlete or even a reasonably accomplished strength trainee either--and most of us here ARE or SHOULD BE trying to push the limits of our abilities regularly, so saying that we should avoid grains based on observations about a group of people whose goals/stressors were different from ours is a fallacy IMO.
    Avoiding grains is not just based on sketchy observations of a group of people (that would be impossible anyway). There are certain physiological responses to certain foods that are less than desirable. I'm not going to go into all the finer details on this (because I don't know them), but there is apparently an inflammatory response to some of these grains. I think this is the counter argument to the lipid hypothesis as a cause for CHD. I think the grains irritate the gut, causing and inflammatory response and leads to (low level?) systemic inflammation. All these inflammatory response components damage the epithelial lining of blood vessels, which then attract cholesterol and plaque formation, hence CHD.

Something like that, I may be wrong somewhere.

I'm not really commenting on any of this stuff being right or wrong, I don't really know. I haven't critically appraised any studies, nor have used a paleo diet to give any of my own experiences. It's just their argument, and loads of anecdotal evidence that seems to come from everyone I've seen do paleo.

Also, it's not just calorie restriction. There have been numerous studies that show many improvements in various health indicators in favour of low-carb diets versus mod/high-carb diets, even in isocaloric conditions. Not that strictly relates to paleo.

What is 'clean' dieting? I was all my food and don't eat anything that has fallen on the floor, do I eat 'cleanly'?

God made dirt, dirt don't hurt.

BOOM!!

Well lol, before things start getting too complicated, I did well a few years ago by drinking a lot of water, eating less, and "trying" to do HIIT at nights about an hour after eating, and I got really small. From about 215 to 160. I liked feeling smaller and such, but I became weaker. Don't want to do that, plus I am a collge student on a somewhat limited budget.

Gaining strength is not a problem since I am pretty strong. I just want to get back into lifting, but lifting correctly with some direction.

Like I said before, I can't do GOMAD since I am lactose intolerant.

But I am hearing two sides to this paleo diet thing.

What about Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHn87...eature=channel

Stop worrying about this stuff and do what Nisora said to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    I think the grains irritate the gut, causing and inflammatory response and leads to (low level?) systemic inflammation. All these inflammatory response components damage the epithelial lining of blood vessels, which then attract cholesterol and plaque formation, hence CHD.
    This would just be one factor affecting systemic inflammation. Others to consider would be EPA intake and regular exercise. Also, weight loss itself tends to reduce systemic inflammation. So while grains causing systemic inflammations sounds troublesome in theory, I'd have to question the real-world relevance taking into account the broader context.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    What about Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle?
    The best "diet" of these types that I've found (and I have literally tried them all) is the Metabolic Diet by Dr. Di Pasquale. It's essentially a bodybuilding diet of sorts, but it does work well if followed properly. The real problem is actually following it. Plus it can be rather expensive, which would be a problem for you.

If you don't have a lot of money to spend and can't drink milk, what about lots of McDonald's double cheeseburgers? Ask them to take off the cheese. Two of those is close to a 1000 calories and has plenty of protein. Do you have a cafeteria at school? Try to go to buffets and fill up on a lot of meat. Depending on how young you are, I wouldn't really worry too much about a "diet", just worry about getting as many calories as possible. When I was 18 and a freshman in college, I was eating around 6000 calories a day and never gained a pound. Ahhh, to be able to do that again...

http://www.metabolicdiet.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast