starting strength gym

Thread: Need SS knowledgeable coach/trainer in the California east Bay Area.

Default Need SS knowledgeable coach/trainer in the California east Bay Area.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Please indulge this newbie, the post is a bit long-winded.

A little background -

I have been the skinny 6' 2" 'string bean' all my life. Had the computer-geek career consisting of sitting on my ass and staring at a computer monitor for 12-14 hrs/day. Over the last few years, I became skinny-fat! Like most men at 40+ it all accumulated around my belly. This year at age 45, I have completely changed my eating habits and this month I have reached my weight loss goal of 165lbs. (from 240lbs. a few years ago) and I am ready to re-add some of those pounds back as lean muscle.

I have purchased the excellent 'Starting Strength vol. 2' book on a recommendation from another web site, and I am completely motivated to follow the instructions outlined therein. I thoroughly appreciate the technical aspects and level of detail of the descriptions of each lift as that is what helps me to learn.

I've went out and bought a bench, a rack, an Olympic 45lb. barbell and 300lbs of iron! Well... and a cheap set of dumbbells - sorry ...and starting diving into 'Starting Strength'.

Today -

I am very excited to start the Novice Program, and am having slight difficulty curbing my enthusiasm and jumping into it before I am truly ready! I have taken notes, practiced form with an empty bar for almost all lifts (except deadlift - need to get that 8.5" starting bar height - maybe find/buy lighter standard-size and/or bumper plates).

But having never laid hands on a barbell before in my entire life, I must admit, I am a bit intimidated by lifts like the squat, power clean, and deadlift only because the risk for injury seems greater if I am doing them incorrectly. And with having never lifted before, I would like to find someone to assure me I am doing them correctly before I actually load the empty bar and officially start my program! I prefer not to learn any bad habits with incorrect and/or sloppy technique! I really need a coach! Preferably, one that intimately knows and follows the SS methodology!

If I understand correctly, progression involves walking that fine-line of failure! And my equipment doesn't have any safety-measures built-in. So, being alone in the garage without a spotter tends to make my brain kick in too soon on what is too heavy! On the other hand, I've looked into some of the gyms in my area, and I cannot find a personal trainer that follows the methodology of Starting Strength. So... I feel like I am somewhat stuck. Maybe just a kick in the ass in the right direction is all. I don't know.

The Future -

I look forward to the progression I know I will see if I follow the instructions in Starting Strength!

My goals are:

- To become stronger / bigger;
    - To get to around 180-200lbs.
    - To achieve a reasonably lean BF%.

I'm not looking for huge "guns", I just want to wave goodbye to the "string bean".

I live about 45 miles Northeast of San Francisco in the eastern California Bay area.
    Anyone know of a place, say, 150 mi. radius I should look, or someone they can recommend?

Thanks in Advance,

- Moto
    Last edited by MotoPsycho; 03-25-2010 at 01:24 AM.

why not just take videos and post them up for evaluation?

teach yourself, most of us did.

Hey Moto,

I work in Napa and live in Novato, PM me and maybe we can help each other out.

I have been thinking about contacting these guys http://www.diablobarbell.com/ to get some coaching, they seem to have some pretty serious guys there.

cheers,
    Bowdirk

I sent you a PM.

I live in East Bay and train in a home gym.

Send me a PM, I might be able to help you out.

I think I may have found what I was looking for.

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.

I admire your enthusiasm. Keep that level of motivation and you'll suprise yourself.

Good luck.

starting strength coach development program
    How can you live 45 NE of SF and still live in the East Bay area?

There are a few CF affiliates in the area. However, the unfortunate part of this is the monthly cost is probably not what you're looking for. Perhaps contact CFOneWorld, CFOakland, CFMarin, CFPetaluma, etc about possibly a few private lessons to get form checks and the basic lifting down. I'm sure there are other places and that DiabloBB looks like a good place, maybe.

As for DLing, you should be able to jerry rig something up to have your bar start at the appropriate height by placing the weight plates on something.

So, being alone in the garage without a spotter tends to make my brain kick in too soon on what is too heavy!
    It sounds like you need a power cage, bad. Have some know-how and tools and space? Build one.