starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Abz anyone?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by cannibal.horse View Post
    Derail apology: has anyone else experienced back pain when doing sit ups? my lower back doesnt like it when i put the plate behind my head...
    Make sure you use the valsalva. It is also probably better not to use a decline, if you happen to using one.

I have stopped training abs since I am near the end of my linear progression. Just from doing my squats yesterday (346 5x3) my abs are really sore this morning. I've actually awakened with upper ab cramps over the last couple weeks (not the GI kind) doing the "good morning world stretch". I don't recommend waking up like that I can't imagine adding other ab work right now. I use a belt and I know my core is getting stronger along with everything else just by how I feel the same under the bar every workout (even though the weight is going up).

I don't do any direct ab work, unless you consider front squats an ab exercise. I know that's where I tend to feel it the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bif View Post
    You have a kindred spirit in me!

You've received good responses from other posters, but one thing seems neglected: The sides of your core. To that effect, I like doing side deadlifts, sometimes called "suitcase" deadlifts. You do these one-handed with a barbell. The unilateral nature of the lift, along with the need to balance a 7-foot barbell in one hand, introduces a degree of awkwardness that makes it a valuable core strengthener.

The beauty part? It doesn't feel like an "ab" exercise even though you're hammering your sides effectively. Try it!
    I bet you are a fan of Dan John.

Quote Originally Posted by fnet View Post
    I don't do any direct ab work, unless you consider front squats an ab exercise. I know that's where I tend to feel it the next day.
    I know what you mean. I definitely feel it in my abs the day after front squats. I still do FS on recovery day (Texas Method) even though Rip has changed his opinion about them. There are several reasons why I choose to still do them and feeling it in the abs is one of them.

Default Abdonimal Intensity

You guys should search and find the abdominal intensity article, it's somewheres on the forum.

I use the program outlined in that article once or twice a week, adding weight as prescribed.

Has had no negative effects on recovery thus far...

Presses are a lot more stable now...I used to wobble as I locked out the last couple reps.

AND....my BB.com chicken legged abzzz having mofo friend refused to believe that I had stronger abzzz than his 6 pack abzzzz, I showed him by having him work in on a set of weighted situps with me...he could only get 4 with the weight I'm now using for 3.5x12 reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatson View Post
    You guys should search and find the abdominal intensity article, it's somewheres on the forum.

I use the program outlined in that article once or twice a week, adding weight as prescribed.

Has had no negative effects on recovery thus far...

Presses are a lot more stable now...I used to wobble as I locked out the last couple reps.

AND....my BB.com chicken legged abzzz having mofo friend refused to believe that I had stronger abzzz than his 6 pack abzzzz, I showed him by having him work in on a set of weighted situps with me...he could only get 4 with the weight I'm now using for 3.5x12 reps.
    I cant find this article, could you please outline the directions? Thanks in advance.

I just do them on the floor with a dumbell on my chest and my feet wedged under a bar loaded with 25's. A decline bench would be nice to have. I would think that getting some work in over a full range of motion, with a decent amount of weight, would be beneficial for the same reasons that doing back extentions with added weight helps the low back.

Farmers walks are a great isometric exercise for the abs.

Quote Originally Posted by El Viejo View Post
    I still do FS on recovery day (Texas Method) even though Rip has changed his opinion about them. .
    How has Rip's opinion changed?

Ab wheel.

starting strength coach development program
    The link that I used to get to that article is down...

But basically, like the guys have already said, you have to train abs for strength and not endurance.

The recommendation is to hold a plate above your head with arms extended, and do situps in the range of 10-12 reps.

Choose a weight that you can use for 3|10-12 and then use that same weight until you can do 5|10-12...then add weight.

When a 45 gets too easy, use a cambered bar loaded with the needed weight.

I can't remember all of the specifics in the article, but the jist is to use incremental increases and use the situp as an intense strength exercise instead of for endurance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast