starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tips for going it alone?

Default tips for going it alone?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Today was the absolute first time I have ever set foot in a weight room to train with barbells. My problem is that I don't have any guidance- no coaches or training partners- and I feel like I'm just not getting the technique right. I've read the book over and over, but when I step to the bar, I find it really difficult to apply all the information in my head, and I feel really unsure that that I'm not doing it right. Does anyone have any tips for acquiring proper technique if you're working on your own???

~Steve

Hey Steve:

I go it alone too, and although I've had some coaching from a few local folks, the thing I find most valuable is video taping. I'd recommend getting a small, inexpensive (like a Flip) video camera and taping your squats. You can then post here, watch yourself between sets etc. This has made a big difference for me, even if not as good as a coach or training partner.

Good luck, and don't give up.

I'm a lone ranger too. I usually video tape myself to check out my form. This community has also provided me with a plenty of advice as well.

Do yourself a gigantic favor and record your lifts for us to see. It took me months to figure out how to squat correctly, because something was off. If you don't have something to record with, invest in a camera or borrow a friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I go it alone too, and although I've had some coaching from a few local folks, the thing I find most valuable is video taping. I'd recommend getting a small, inexpensive (like a Flip) video camera and taping your squats. You can then post here, watch yourself between sets etc. This has made a big difference for me, even if not as good as a coach or training partner.

Seconded. I record every work set of squats, deadlifts, and power cleans with my Flip, and review my form in between sets. It's not a substitute for a coach, but it's served me well enough.

record and post the videos on here and work on your technique. it might take some time but it will be worth it.

I'll be honest, I learned to squat (really the hardest lift to learn to do correctly) on my own without any sort of video reference until I was already squatting in the 320's for 3 sets of 5, and my form proved to be fine. It isn't THAT difficult.

Everything is in the book. Trust your body to follow what the mind has learned.

Good luck on your new and exciting endeavor!

if you want to save some money on a video recorder, get the 5th generation ipod nano. It has a built in video camera, and you get the mp3 player to boot, all for not too much cash.

Video camera. And get the DVD, if you haven't got it already.

starting strength coach development program
    Make sure you have an iPod or equivalent. Metallica adds weight to your lifts.

Seriously, the crap they play at the gym I train in makes my balls shrivel and my testosterone level plummet.

What the fuck is this? An American Idol version of Motley Crue's "Home Sweet Home"? You must be fucking kidding me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast