starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: posterior chain exercises?

Default posterior chain exercises?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Which exercises are best for strengthening the posterior chain with the goal of strengthening the back to keep it in complete extension during a heavy squat?

reverse hyper is a great exercise if you can get your hand on one.

No reverse hyper in my schools gym. We do have a glute ham bench. I was thinking maybe weighted glute ham raises. Anyone have any experience with these?

45 degree back extensions will do more for your back than a GHR. If you're working your lower back in a GHR you're doing it wrong, hence the name glute ham raise. GHR's are a great exercise, but extensions, good mornings, and stiff leg deadlifts are better options for the back.

have you tried heavy squats?

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    Amen.

Chris, I say this with all respect, and I understand you want to keep your bodyweight down to do gymnastics and parkour or whatever, but in your log at PM your last squat workout tops out at 195#x3. That's not very much weight. You don't need to add special new PC exercises, you need to put more weight on the bar when you squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bond View Post
    Chris, I say this with all respect, and I understand you want to keep your bodyweight down to do gymnastics and parkour or whatever, but in your log at PM your last squat workout tops out at 195#x3. That's not very much weight. You don't need to add special new PC exercises, you need to put more weight on the bar when you squat.

Calling him out!

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    Uh, +1...... (x10^9)

starting strength coach development program
    The reason the squat was only at 195x3 is that I am using 531 for my strength progression, and I reset my squats by a small amount because I didn't squat for the month prior. My 3 rep max is probably not much higher, maybe 215-225, but the 195 was pretty easy as far as squats go.

The reason I am asking about PC exercises is that 531 includes a lot of assistance work. I figure I have a problem keeping my back in complete extension during squats, so I might as work on that in my assistance exercises.
    Last edited by Chris H Laing; 03-30-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast