starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If you hate leg presses...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    Cannibal's right, you can't--or shouldn't--summarily dismiss the leg press as a training tool. "The right tool for the right job" should be your mantra. Decrying the leg press as a shit exercise period is fucking dumb. And you don't wanna be fucking dumb, do you?

-S.
    I don't like the leg press either, like I don't like the Peck Deck or the Lat Pulldown, because it's a machine. What would it be the right tool for?

Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    An advertisment for supplements disguised as a nutrition article. Anyone notice this guy's sporting six-pack abs? If that ain't the clincher.
    Actually, the whole T-Nation website is one big Biotest supplement advertisement. However, they often have very good articles written by very knowledgeable people. So, don't completely dismiss T-Nation as a source of info. Just be aware of what the real objective is.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasfromSparta View Post
    I don't like the leg press either, like I don't like the Peck Deck or the Lat Pulldown, because it's a machine. What would it be the right tool for?
    Depends. What are the trainee's goals? Is there a better exercise that might accomplish the same thing? No? Then foot placement, stance width, etc. all have to fall in line with whatever your goal happens to be with regard to the exercise. I don't have time to write a book.

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    Depends. What are the trainee's goals? Is there a better exercise that might accomplish the same thing? No? Then foot placement, stance width, etc. all have to fall in line with whatever your goal happens to be with regard to the exercise. I don't have time to write a book.
    Maybe it's just me but I can't think of any exercise better than the squat for strength, mass or any other objective a trainee might have.

Leg presses can be useful for trainees that cannot squat their own bodyweight yet as well as for injured populations.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Leg presses can be useful for trainees that cannot squat their own bodyweight yet as well as for injured populations.
    Or those like tate where have torn every muscle and broken at least 6 spinal vertebrae squats are no longer feasible.

They're also useful as an accessory movement for raw powerlifters and bodybuilders to get extra volume without frying their cms.
    Last edited by cannibal.horse; 04-01-2010 at 10:01 AM.

Squat is good, but anything good for extended period of time can get played out too much.

I recently quit my 5 rep squatting, and did 20reps for a period... It felt really good and I came back with a bigger 5 rep squat in the end. So it was worth it.

Maybe it's just me but I can't think of any exercise better than the squat for strength, mass or any other objective a trainee might have.
    Well, then you have room to learn.

Cannibal and Tomc both made very good points, and Londontiger hinted at something that happens often which is mental burnout from doing the same shit week in and week out. Keep this all in context, too--if you haven't built up a solid foundation of strength, maybe the squat and a few other exercises are all one needs.

-S.
    Last edited by nisora33; 04-01-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Poor old guy can barely fucking train anymore he's so beat up.

I think the way Jim Wendler went about things was much preferable.

And what the hell are they listening to?

(please don't anyone interpret this as me bashing Dave T. He is fucking awesome and the business he built is something to be damn proud of.)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Leg presses can be useful for trainees that cannot squat their own bodyweight yet
    Let me get this straight, are you suggesting that a person who cannot squat his bodyweight (clearly a novice) should do the leg press? Really? Can't they just use an empty bar for the squat until they learn the movement right?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast