starting strength gym

Thread: belt use on deadlifts

Default belt use on deadlifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    i just started using a belt recently, so i'm still learning to use it properly.

i get the purpose of pushing the stomach out on the squats.... do you do the same thing with deadlifts? it seems to make it harder to get a flat back.

just curious.

It will be trickier, it is for me. The act of contracting and forcing your abs into the belt will try to round your back. So you need to set your back first, then try to force your abs into the belt without losing back tightness.

You won't get as much out of the belt for deadlifts as you do for squats, but you should be able to get some.

The concept is the same. I've always hated using a belt for deadlifts though, so I don't use them.

I find that my Elite FTS Retro belt gets in the way on deads, so I use a smaller velcro belt.

Yeah, and I think that Rip states in SS that many lifters use different belts for squat and DL. In the beginning I couldn't DL with a belt, but now I use it after trying some positions for the belt.

Can't remember who brought it up initially, but i put on my belt for deads like someone a fair while ago said with the belt higher up the back than the front. For me this helps get the belt in a more comfortable position withought cutting into my hip bones.

starting strength coach development program
    try taking in your air while you're standing up.