starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Depression Affect Training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I often got feelings of depression while working and going to school (both full-time). Luckily, I'd invested in a Harley some time ago. I think you should mix things up and get out of your daily grind. I may very well be wrong, but I think only the most severe cases are caused by chemical imbalances. For most, I suspect it's just life.

Then again, I don't know your case. I sincerely hope everything works out for you man. Get out there and do something fun!

Depression can affect your Training and Training can affect you Depression.

At 50 years old, I have had my ups and downs.

Training helps me to be less depressed, probably 50% of the reason I ever exercise in any form is for the psychological aspect.

I have had prescriptions for Prozac and Wellbrutin before, the side effects were NOT worth it for me.

Now this... I live in CA, and after not smoking weed for ~25 years, i got a card and for the last 6 months take 1 hit out of a pipe 3-5 times a week. I am happier, friendlier, more focused and sleep better than I have in years.

Just sayin...

-Bowdirk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    Part of me wonders if this is due to a chemical imbalance or other things. College can leave me quite depressed sometimes as well. I supposed I just need to focus on getting enough sleep.
    I don't think this is too rare. Having recently returned to college (at 40), I have found that getting enough rest and coping with the additional stress related to school as definitely affected my recovery and training.

Being aware of the issue has helped, and making a concerted effort at get enough rest is probably almost as important as listening to my body - you know, don't be greedy about gains. You know from experience when you need "a break" and for how long. Go with that feeling and I think you'll see less impact on your training.

Also, if it's getting tough, don't let your ego keep you from getting help. You aren't any less of a man if you get some. IMO, it makes you more of one, because you showed the maturity to acknowledge it.

starting strength coach development program
    I know what it feels like to be depressed. I have to strongly agree with what pvc said, basically make yourself a busy schedule and stick to it. Try actually writing down a list of things to do and checking them off as you go along (this actually helps)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12