starting strength gym

Thread: Fix form or increase weight?

Default Fix form or increase weight?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all -
    As I'm reading the SS2E book and taking form a little more seriously, how should I go about correcting my form in the course of my workouts?

Should I stop adding weight each workout until I'm happier with the technique/execution, or should I try to fix my form while still increasing?

I'm squatting 275 and deadlifting 305 at the moment so I'm not sure how much stronger I'll get linearly, but I just thought I'd ask.

(For reference, I need to get my chest up on deadlifts, and I think I need to get a touch lower on my squats).

If you need to get lower on squats, you'll have to drop the weight if you're already near 5RM weight. You won't be able to handle it with more depth.

Chest up on deads, on the other hand, will make you able to lift more, so just continue as you are and fix it. If you're rounding your lower back, lower it.

caveat - I'm no expert.

Fixing form sometimes means correcting something inefficient. Upon fixing it, you may discover that you actually handle more weight than usual. However, if your squats are too high, then you'll need to drop the weight and go from there.

As for the deadlifts, a little rounding is acceptable but when it gets excessive it might be time to deload as well. You'll have to decide that for yourself, though.

For your squat you need to lower the poundage a little if you can't pass parallel. On the deadlift, just raise your chest before the lift. There may be no need to reduce the weight unless your erectors just aren't strong enough to maintain extension.

In general, get your form "good" and keep progressing. Have enough sense to know what "good" form means though. If you need to lower the poundage to do this then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by jwaisanen View Post
    Hi all -
    As I'm reading the SS2E book and taking form a little more seriously, how should I go about correcting my form in the course of my workouts?

Should I stop adding weight each workout until I'm happier with the technique/execution, or should I try to fix my form while still increasing?

I'm squatting 275 and deadlifting 305 at the moment so I'm not sure how much stronger I'll get linearly, but I just thought I'd ask.

(For reference, I need to get my chest up on deadlifts, and I think I need to get a touch lower on my squats).
    Post your squat video on the board here so the community can judge the depth and give you better advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    Post your squat video on the board here so the community can judge the depth and give you better advice.
    Working on that - I haven't been able to take a decent video of my squat yet. My deadlift video is linked in my post in the technique section. I'll be sure to post back when I've got a squat video.

Last edited by JT in MD; 03-30-2010 at 03:34 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    It depends on whether it's a major form issue or just minor tweaks here and there. You're saying you need more depth on your squat, so likely you need to take a bit of weight off.

But don't think that you'll have perfect form all of a sudden. You need to work on it every single time you lift.