starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good discreet chalk

Default Good discreet chalk

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm looking for a good brand of chalk, in block form, that won't make much of a mess. I've decided to go against the wishes of my gym and take the advice of people on this board. What brand of chalk do you prefer?

You could try liquid chalk or grip putty.

Alternatively someone here recommended mixing powder chalk with alcohol hand cleanser.

The best solution is to find a gym (i.e. not a health and fitness club like what you're obviously currently at) that cares about your strength, performance and safety. This will by default allow chalk.

The only gym I have access to is my campus recreational center. I don't have a car or the money to afford a different gym, therefore finding these "hole-in-the-wall" meccas of strength training is not an option for me. The question was What is a good brand of chalk to purchase?

I think mine is Ivanko. I like it, but I've never used anything else, so I don't know what to compare it to.

When I was in your situation, I kept chalk in a tupperware and applied it to my hands in my gym bag. Nobody ever said anything to me. Just try to wipe down bench pads, and barbells after you're done. Be really critical of how you clean up afterwards; then nobody will have any reason to complain.

MilkEnthusiast gets a golden star for answering questions.

Did you even look on the front page before you posted? I posted about a great alternative that works just as good and won't go against your gyms wishes.

As far as brand/type goes it's all the same. I bought mine from APT.

Yes, before I posted I read your thread and I researched the Eco-ball and found that many people were saying that it wasn't quite as good as just regular chalk.

Quote Originally Posted by MilkEnthusiast View Post
    I think mine is Ivanko. I like it, but I've never used anything else, so I don't know what to compare it to.

When I was in your situation, I kept chalk in a tupperware and applied it to my hands in my gym bag. Nobody ever said anything to me. Just try to wipe down bench pads, and barbells after you're done. Be really critical of how you clean up afterwards; then nobody will have any reason to complain.
    You'd think so right? Unless you're at my gym. They put up signs saying that you have to clean up your chalk or they're going to ban chalk in all of the campus gyms. Fair enough, and I always clean up my mess. I've talked with the staff and they provide spray bottles and towels in a bin by the desk. The other day this officious prick "trainer" (in the vaguest sense of the word, I've never seen any of these trainers doing anything even resembling training, also he's about 5'5" #130 dripping wet) comes over to me while I'm cleaning up. In the most condescending tone possible, he says "you know those aren't for cleaning up the floor," motioning to the spray bottle and towel I have in my hand. The same spray bottle and towel they put out for people to clean up after themselves. I start to ask him what he meant and he simply grabs the bottle and towel and walks away. When I approach the desk later and ask him what he meant, still trying to be polite, he opens a drawer and pulls out another type of bottle, saying these are for cleaning the floor, those are for the equipment, still speaking to me like a toddler. It was at about this point that the voices in my head that tell me to hurt people started up. Knowing that I wasn't going to make any progress here and not wishing to add assault and battery to my record, I walked away.
    I can deal with their stupid rules and bullshit, and you know if the guy had actually made an effort to talk to me like a person I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

starting strength coach development program
    get the Metolius Chalk Sock from REI. Mimimal mess and easy to hide in your gym bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast