starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Ideal" Bodyweight & BF% vs. Height

Default "Ideal" Bodyweight & BF% vs. Height

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    And I don't mean the worthless BMI measurement.

Specifically, I'm curious what you all would consider to be a good weight for someone like me: Male, 6'2" , 33 years old.

I'm currently a rank novice looking to begin SS, I tend toward skinny fat, and I'd like to have a realistic goal to shoot for over the next year or two. As of this morning, I'm sitting at 216lbs and 25% BF measured by calipers. I have no interest in getting to 5% BF so that I can show off 'teh gunz and teh abz'. My interest is in getting strong, something I haven't ever been. So my question could be rephrased as:

"In your experience, what would be a realistic outcome, in terms of bodyweight and body fat %, for someone of my height once novice strength gains have been exhausted?"

Thanks for the input.

Jason

No one here has a crystal ball. Just do the damn programme and eat accordingly for someone who is 25% bodyfat and see where you get.

It's all up to what you put into it. If you drink your gallon of milk a day, get proper nutrition and enough calories, and do your lifts you'll gain size and strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Smack View Post
    No one here has a crystal ball. Just do the damn programme and eat accordingly for someone who is 25% bodyfat and see where you get.
    Thanks, Smack. I intend to do just that.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in terms of the generality of the question. I was definitely not asking anyone to predict my future. Just an 'academic' question for you guys to kick around for my own edification.

BTW, I did use Google and the site search functions before posting. Honest.

Ideal bodyfat% for strength is about 10-12% Ideal bodyweight for strength of somebody 6'2 is probably around 300lbs

That's what we're saying. It's possible to be over 300lbs and be mostly muscle at that height. It's also possible to be over 300lbs and mostly fat. What comes next will be determined by how strict you stick to your program and what kind of nutrition you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Wroathe View Post
    That's what we're saying. It's possible to be over 300lbs and be mostly muscle at that height.
    lol

Not without some elite level genetics and a hell of a lot of steroids. Arnold was 235lbs stage weight at that height.

Quote Originally Posted by Wroathe View Post
    It's all up to what you put into it. If you drink your gallon of milk a day, get proper nutrition and enough calories, and do your lifts you'll gain size and strength.
    Thanks for the reply, Wroathe.

I understand that genetics, consistency, and a bunch of other factors all play a part as well.

I guess I just find it interesting that the BMI chart has me at 184lbs at the very end of the normal range. That doesn't sound like a very 'useful' weight to me. And the most appealing aspect of strength training to me has to be usefulness. 184 sounds more like 'anorexic meth addict' territory.

BMI is bullshit.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Smack View Post
    lol

Not without some elite level genetics and a hell of a lot of steroids. Arnold was 235lbs stage weight at that height.
    I understand that. I said it was possible, not likely.

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/andybolton/

Assuming Andy isn't lying about his BF percentage he's 360lbs @ 6'0" w/ a 20% body fat. Which is average body fat by anyone's standards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast