starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Split Snatch and Clean

Default The Split Snatch and Clean

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Bill Starr

...you do not need a coach to teach you this lift. I know this because I taught myself, as did nearly every lifter I trained and competed with. It can be done if the will to do so is there. If I could do it, so can you. I am certainly not a prodigy, not by a long shot. Every gain I made was through sweat and determination – trying a different method, failing, regrouping, trying something else until I found what worked, and then drilling until my technique improved.

Full Article

Resources Page
    Last edited by stef; 04-14-2010 at 11:36 PM.

Awesome as ever. Stef, I'm wondering if you know what Bill's training consists of these days? Is he still an imposingly strong man as he appears in the rare photo on the internet?

Great stuff, I have been curious about the split lifts for a good while. I feel they could really suit me as my squat is awkwardly wide and not very deep. But I can split very low.

Ive been wanting to see a video of a split snatch with a competition weight for a good while but have not been able to find anything.

Ill use some of Starr's tips to practice and see if I can manage myself.

I was also wondering if there is any recommended safe method for lowering non-bumper plates down from a snatch?

Laree sent Bill Starr some questions via postal mail and put his answers on the internets here: http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/s...tid/7317/tp/4/

That should answer your training question.

That's what I call throwing down the gauntlet. If Bill Starr says you can learn the split snatch yourself, well, no excuses.

I've seen some old-timers in recent years, like Bill Deni, still using the split snatch.

Ibrahim Shams, who is mentioned in the article, clean and jerked 338 pounds at a body weight of 148, in 1939 (I think). In any case, this remained a world record for a good 20 years. According to David Willoughby's book, Shams was 69 inches (5'-9"). Something to think about for those of us who fall naturally on the thin side of the register.

Very inspiring article. "if I can do it, you can do it." I really like it. Most of the time when you read descriptions as of how to do the olympic lifts the writers tend to focus only on the minute details of the lift. They forget that the most important part, at least for me, is motivating you and guiding you into the process of self-learning.

I'm definitely looking into using this snatch style. I've been giving it a shot just after reading it, and while I know it'll take long while for me before I master it. I can say it felt easier and less demanding, in terms of flexibility, than the squat version.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Hughes View Post
    Awesome as ever. Stef, I'm wondering if you know what Bill's training consists of these days? Is he still an imposingly strong man as he appears in the rare photo on the internet?
    Bill is 72 now, and still trains in his apartment four days a week. He is still imposing.

Tried the split snatch today, loved it. I'm still moving pansy weights, but I made a 15lb PR.

Thanks Bill!

I really like bill starr's attitude about teaching yourself the olympic lifts.

Conventional wisdom is that it is not possible, but really think that this is BS.

But i taught myself, and i have cleaner form then most of the guys taught by the local coach.

Starr taught himself from magazine pics. But we live in a modern age of youtube and forums like this, coaches like dan john, and mark rippetoe (...and justin with 70's big) and starting strength books.
    Last edited by Randle McMurphy; 04-17-2010 at 06:01 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Awesome. Yet another reason to get an interview with him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast