starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grippers/Straps For Deadlift

Default Grippers/Straps For Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    If I am losing my grip on the bar during deadlifts, should I use straps to be able to lift more weight, or just stay where I'm at until my grip gets stronger? I was going to post this question on the gripper forum but everyone on there seems to have conflicting opinions. I have been doing deadlifts for a few months but only recently have I started focusing on increasing weight. I'm 5'8" and weighed 140lbs 8 months ago and am now up to 172lbs. I'm currently only deadlifting about 195 for 3x5 and I start to lose my grip on the last couple of reps in the last set. I could probably be working with 225 or more if I used straps. I haven't wanted to use straps because I just figured I would wait for my grip to get stronger so I can lift more. What's your opinion? Thanks.

hook grip?

I would try to complete as many sets w/o the straps first, but use them if you can't get the later sets. Are you using an mixed grip right now? Also, do you use chalk? I would use an alternating mixed grip with chalk first, before I tried straps.

Either way, even if you are going mixed, try to get as many as you can w/o the straps first.

You are still pretty low on your numbers to be thinking of straps. Do you have abnormally small hands/bad bars/hex plates at your gym?

Theres nothing wrong with using straps when you need, even Bill Starr thought it was a better idea than using mixed grip. But to resort to it before two plates is pretty premature. Do your warm ups/any back off sets with normal double overhand grip. Use hook grip + chalk for worksets. If this stops working used mixed grip or straps.

I personally have very small hands and wrists yet got up to 3 wheels on my run of SS at similar BW as you, and can pull my best deadlifts with hook grip.

I'm pretty sure the OP is doing the deads DOH grip style.

I've had weak grip my whole life (I really mean that, pickle jars have haunted me) and I got to 345x5 before I had to switch to mixed grip.

Sounds like you're not using chalk to me.

But wait... why are you doing deads 3x5? SS says to do 1x5. That would make a big difference right there.

It's bb.com bullshit to pick arbitrary poundage and say stuff like, Oh that's when you can use straps or a belt or whatever.

BUT

I really think straps are premature until you're hitting 2x bodyweight numbers.

What have you been doing in 8 months that you still have a sub 225 deadlift at 170 BW?

man, if you have intact hands, i loathe you if you use straps for anything other than absolute all out sets. probably similar to paralyzed folks watching lazy people use mobility devices.
    Last edited by william jackson; 02-24-2011 at 10:46 PM. Reason: again, conspiracy

starting strength coach development program
    Use an alternating (mixed) grip, one hand up, one hand down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast